The Innovation and Technology Payment (ITP) programme supports the NHS to adopt innovations by removing some of the financial and procurement barriers to introducing new technologies.
It is a competitive process for innovations and technologies that have already proved their clinical effectiveness and are ready to be rolled out nationally.
The 2020/21 ITP programme builds on the Innovation and Technology Tariff (ITT) and ITP 2019/20 and is continuing to support the following themes:
- Placental growth factor (PIGF) based tests to help rule out pre-eclampsia quickly so that pregnant women receive the most appropriate care
- HeartFlow FFRCT – analysis which creates a 3D model of the coronary arteries to help clinicians to rapidly diagnose patients with suspected coronary artery disease from coronary CT angiography
- gammaCore – non-invasive vagus nerve stimulation therapy for the treatment of cluster migraine
- SpaceOAR – an absorbable spacer to reduce rectum radiation exposure during prostate radiation therapy
- Non-Injectable Arterial Connector – an arterial connecting system to reduce bacterial contamination and the accidental administration of medication
- Plus Sutures – a new type of surgical suture that reduces the rate of Surgical Site Infection (SSI)
- SecurAcath is a device to secure catheters for patients with a peripherally inserted central catheter
- Endocuff Vision – a medical device which attaches to the distal end of an endoscope and improves colorectal examination for patients undergoing bowel cancer tests
Additionally, two themes are receiving continued support through the Evidence Generation Fund:
- Digital apps to support emergency/crisis mental health assessments
- Interoperable personal health record tool.
SpaceOAR is a gel injection which reduces the effects of radiation for prostate cancer patients and has been supported with funding through the ITP programme. Prostate cancer patients in Southampton are now benefitting from this medical breakthrough. University Hospital Southampton is currently trialling SpaceOAR and was featured on local TV and newspapers, including BBC South Today.
NHS England and NHS Improvement Innovation and Technology Payment 2020 to 2021 Technical Notes
This guidance sets out the national approach in England to supporting the adoption of innovation using the Innovation and Technology Payment.