The Innovation and Technology Payment (ITP) programme supports the NHS to adopt innovations by removing some of the financial and procurement barriers to introducing new technologies.
It is a competitive process for innovations and technologies that have already proved their clinical effectiveness and are ready to be rolled out nationally.
The 2019/20 ITP programme builds on the Innovation and Technology Tariff (ITT) and ITP 2018/19 and is supporting the following themes:
- Non-invasive vagus nerve stimulation therapy for the treatment of cluster headaches.
- Absorbable spacer to reduce rectum radiation exposure during prostate radiation therapy.
- Placental growth factor (PIGF) based test for the rule‑out of pre-eclampsia
- High sensitivity troponin assay in a rapid rule out protocol for acute myocardial infarction.
Additionally, two themes will be supported through the Evidence Generation Fund. These themes will have a more limited roll-out and more intensive evaluation support:
- Digital apps to support emergency/crisis mental health assessments.
- Interoperable personal health record tool.