@NHS from 24/7/17 – 28/7/17
Job title: Locality Team Manager, Paediatric Specialist Speech and Language Therapist
Place of work: Vale Royal Locality, Central Cheshire Integrated Care Partnership
I’m a passionate Speech and Language Therapist and have been practicing for 10 years. I have worked in London, Leeds and have been working in Cheshire for the last 3 years. I love my current role which is a balance of both leadership and clinical work. I am a Locality Team Leader and responsible for a team of 22 Speech and Language Therapists (SLTs) and SLT assistants who work in community clinics, mainstream and special schools, patient homes and pre-school settings. I’m very fortunate to work within such a forward thinking, caring and well-led team, and feel this is reflected throughout the NHS within the Speech and Language Therapy profession.
I have worked in a wide range of settings, with preschool and school aged children, but really enjoying my current clinical role of working with new borns, babies and toddlers with complex needs such as Cerebral Palsy, Down’s Syndrome, visual impairment, developmental delay and a range of difficulties resulting from birth complications and prematurity. I primarily work with children who have dysphagia (eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties).
I’m regularly asked by family and friends to tell them more about what Speech and Language Therapy is, what we do, and who we work with. I love sharing information with them and the wider population whenever I can such as via social media. ICAN estimate that there are over 1 million children with Speech, Language and Communication difficulties in the UK, and this can be as many as 40-50% children who enter education with delayed speech and language. It is vital that we continue to support these children.
I am lucky to have found such an interesting and diverse career. Every child we work with is unique and there is nothing more rewarding than helping them to reach their potential.
- http://www.mcht.nhs.uk/information-for-patients/departmentsandservices/community-services/paediatric-speech-and-language-therapy/ – my department’s website
- www.senmagazine.co.uk – Special Educational Needs online magazine
- www.rcslt.org.uk – Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists
- www.hcpc.org.uk – Health and Care Professionals Council
- www.ican.org.uk – Top tips to develop children’s speech and language
- www.communicationtrust.org.uk – National Charity for Speech, Language and Communication Needs