Mental health support for serving personnel

Find mental health information and support for serving personnel, mobilised reservists and families.

Mental health problems are common and can affect anyone, including serving personnel, mobilised reservists and their families. It is important to get help and support if you or someone you know is struggling with mental health.

Some people delay getting help with their mental health for a number of reasons, such as trying to cope alone, fear of criticism, embarrassment or feeling that the NHS will not understand.

There are many different ways to get help that take you and your situation into account. Finding the right support for you is important.

NHS mental health advice and urgent help

If you need support for a specific mental health condition, you can find information through our A-Z of mental health conditions.

If you want help from a charity, you can:

Get urgent help for mental health

Basic mental health support

All serving personnel and mobilised reservists have access to mental health support, no matter where you are based.

There are many people you can talk to, including:

  • medical officers
  • welfare officers
  • your chain of command
  • Trauma Risk Management (TRiM) practitioners
  • chaplains

They can talk to you about your mental health and help you get further support if you feel you need it.

Combat Stress

If you need to talk to somebody, Combat Stress have a dedicated mental health support helpline for serving personnel and their families. This provides confidential advice and support and is free to call for serving personnel, family members and carers.

This helpline is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year on 0800 323 4444.


Togetherall is a mental health support service providing anonymous, round-the-clock online support with trained counsellors.

There’s a supportive community and lots of free resources that all armed forces serving personnel and their families can use at any time.

Specialist mental health services

If you need them, you may be referred to specialist mental health services. These services are all specially commissioned by the MoD.

The priority of all specialist mental health services is to return you to your regular armed forces work as quickly and safely as possible.

Departments of Community Mental Health (DCMH)

Departments of Community Mental Health (DCMH) offer specialist outpatient mental health care in the UK. These are military centres dedicated to treating serving personnel military health problems.

They are provided by the Defence Medical Services (DMS).

Smaller DCMH centres are also available overseas.

Inpatient specialist support

Specialist inpatient mental health care services for serving personnel are provided by several NHS trusts across the country.

Service personnel are assessed, stabilised and treated in hospitals as close to their home or parent unit as possible.