This Clinical Reference Group (CRG) covers specialised hepatobiliary and pancreas services. Hepatobiliary (HPB) services treat patients who have disorders of the liver, bile ducts and pancreas. A large volume of HPB services are delivered in local hospitals but, because of the complexity and high cost of care, delivery in conjunction with, or at, specialist tertiary centres is necessary.
This Clinical Reference Group (CRG) covers:
- the management of people with serious complications of cirrhosis (about 3,000 cases each year)
- services for people with complex liver, biliary and pancreatic surgery (about 5,000 cases each year), including surgery for HPB cancers
- this CRG works with the Infectious Diseases CRG on services for hepatitis C (about 2,000 new cases each year).
Chair: Professor Graham Foster, Consultant Hepatologist, Barts Health
Stephen Fenwick, North
Derek Manas, North
Keith Roberts, Midlands & East
Raaj Praseedom, Midlands & East
Rajaventhan Srirajaskanthan, London
Hemant Kocher, London
Neil Pearce, South
Matthew Cramp, South
Sarah Cripps, Lead Pharmacist
Anna Jewell, Patient & Public Voice
Eric Martlew, Patient & Public Voice
Nicholas Roslund, Patient & Public Voice
Yaiza Rivero, Lead Commissioner, firstname.lastname@example.org
A key part of the CRG’s work is the delivery of the ‘products’ of commissioning. These are the tools used by the 10 Hub Commissioning Teams to contract services on an annual basis.
Service specifications are important in clearly defining the standards of care expected from organisations funded by NHS England to provide specialised care. The specifications have been developed by specialised clinicians, commissioners, expert patients and public health representatives to describe both core and developmental service standards. Core standards are those that all funded providers should be able to demonstrate, with developmental standards being those which may require further changes in practice over time to provide excellence in the field.
The following service specifications fall within the scope of this CRG:
- Operational Delivery Networks for Hepatitis C Care in Adults
- Heptobiliary and Pancreas (Adult)
- Live Liver Transplantation (Adult)
- Liver Transplantation Service (Adults)
- Cancer Pancreatic
- Small Bowel Transplantation Service (Adult)
Policy statements are brief documents that define the current commissioning position to support service contracting.
The following policy statements fall within the scope of this CRG:
Not routinely commissioned:
- Treatment of chronic Hepatitis C in patients with cirrhosis – Clinical Commissioning Policy Statement