This Clinical Reference Group (CRG) covers specialised hepatobiliary and pancreas services. Hepatobiliary (HPB) services treat patients who have disorders of the liver, bile ducts and pancreas. A large volume of HPB services are delivered in local hospitals but, because of the complexity and high cost of care, delivery in conjunction with, or at, specialist tertiary centres is necessary.
This Clinical Reference Group (CRG) covers:
- the management of people with serious complications of cirrhosis (about 3,000 cases each year)
- services for people with complex liver, biliary and pancreatic surgery (about 5,000 cases each year), including surgery for HPB cancers
- this CRG works with the Infectious Diseases CRG on services for hepatitis C (about 2,000 new cases each year).
Chair: Professor Graham Foster, Professor of Hepatology at Queen Mary University of London.
Deputy Chair: Matthew Cramp
Yaiza Rivero, lead commissioner
Angeline Walker, Public Health England lead
Anna Jewell, Patient and Public Voice representative
Eric Martlew, Patient and Public Voice representative
Siong-Seng Liau, clinical member
Aisling Considine, clinical member
Matthew Cramp, clinical member
Richard Aspinall, clinical member
Paula Ghaneh, clinical member
Ajith Siriwardena, clinical member
Robert Mitchell-Thain, Patient and Public Voice representative
A key part of the CRG’s work is the delivery of the ‘products’ of commissioning. These are the tools used by the 10 Hub Commissioning Teams to contract services on an annual basis.
Service specifications are important in clearly defining the standards of care expected from organisations funded by NHS England to provide specialised care. The specifications have been developed by specialised clinicians, commissioners, expert patients and public health representatives to describe both core and developmental service standards. Core standards are those that all funded providers should be able to demonstrate, with developmental standards being those which may require further changes in practice over time to provide excellence in the field.
The following service specifications fall within the scope of this CRG:
- Operational Delivery Networks for Hepatitis C Care in Adults
- Heptobiliary and Pancreas (Adult)
- Live Liver Transplantation (Adult)
- Liver Transplantation Service (Adults)
- Cancer Pancreatic
- Small bowel transplantation service (children and adults)
Policy statements are brief documents that define the current commissioning position to support service contracting.
The following policy statements fall within the scope of this CRG:
Not routinely commissioned:
- Treatment of chronic Hepatitis C in patients with cirrhosis – Clinical Commissioning Policy Statement