Specialised surgery in children includes surgical management of rare conditions, all surgery on neonates, paediatric oncology surgery, paediatric urology, major paediatric gastrointestinal surgery and thoracic surgery excluding cardiac surgery.
Chair: Mr Oliver Gee, Consultant Paediatric Surgeon, Birmingham Children’s Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
Recruitment to this CRG is in progress and the names of the members will be updated shortly.
A key part of the CRG’s work is the delivery of the ‘products’ of commissioning. These are the tools used by the 10 Hub Commissioning Teams to contract services on an annual basis.
Service specifications are important in clearly defining the standards of care expected from organisations funded by NHS England to provide specialised care. The specifications have been developed by specialised clinicians, commissioners, expert patients and public health representatives to describe both core and developmental service standards. Core standards are those that all funded providers should be able to demonstrate, with developmental standards being those which may require further changes in practice over time to provide excellence in the field.
The following service specifications fall within the scope of this CRG:
- Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome with macroglossia service (children)
- Bladder exstrophy service (children)
- Cleft Lip and/or Palate Services including Non-Cleft Velopharyngeal Dysfunction (VPD) (All Ages)
- Complex tracheal disease service (children)
- Craniofacial service (All Ages)
- Paediatric Surgery (& Surgical Pathology, Anaesthesia & Pain)
- Paediatric Surgery Chronic Pain
- Paediatric Surgery Neonates
- Specialised and complex obesity surgery for children
A commissioning policy is a document that defines access to a service for a particular group of patients. A NICE Technology Appraisal Guideline on the same topic will replace, or be incorporated into, a commissioning policy as appropriate. These are important documents that are developed to ensure consistency in access to treatments nationwide.