NHS England supports the commissioning system to be highly effective through:
- The template of the new model Constitution can be used to set out the arrangements made by the clinical commissioning group to meet its responsibilities for commissioning care for the people for whom it is responsible. It describes the governing principles, rules and procedures that the group will establish to ensure probity and accountability in the day to day running of the clinical commissioning group. Supporting notes have also been published.
- Funding an extensive research programme providing the evidence needed to transform services and improve outcomes
- Commissioning Support Units (CSUs), which provide a wide range of commissioning support services
- The Lead Provider Framework (LPF) which offers a fast and simple way for commissioners to source some or all of their commissioning support needs
- The Commissioning Capability Programme which provides bespoke and tailored support delivered through place-based solutions to equip commissioners with the skills to deliver on both the challenges of today and the challenges of tomorrow. The programme is designed to follow the needs of commissioning organisations and is co-designed with them.