The Data Protection Act gives you the right to ask for a copy of the information an organisation holds about you. This right is commonly known as a subject access request (SAR).
Requests for medical (health) records
- A request for information from health records has to be made with the organisation that holds your health records – the data controller. For example, your GP practice, optician or dentist.
- For hospital health records, contact the records manager or patient services manager at the relevant hospital trust. You can find a list of hospital trusts on the NHS Choices website.
GP Health Records for un-registered or deceased individuals
NHS England is the data controller of GP health records where an individual is currently not registered with a GP or is deceased. These records are held by Primary Care Support England (PCSE) on behalf of NHS England. You can find the application form and details of where to send your request on the PCSE website.
You can find more information about accessing health records on the NHS Choices website.
Requests for other types of personal information held by NHS England
The Data Protection Act gives you the right to obtain a copy of information that NHS England holds about you and the reason why. How we use your information explains the types of information we hold and why. If you would like to receive a copy of information we hold about you your request should be made in writing (or email) to:
- Post: NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the words ‘Subject Access Request’ at the beginning of your letter or in the subject line of your email.
When making your request, please include the following details:
- your name, address and postcode
- any relevant case reference numbers (if you have made a general enquiry or submitted a complaint to NHS England),
- the type of information or documents you want to look at including any relevant dates, and
- any preferences you have for the way you would like us to send the information to you (for example, hard copy, large print or by email).
If you require advice about making your request, you can call us on 0300 311 22 33. Our opening hours are 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, except Wednesdays when we open at the later time of 9.30am.
We aim to send you a reply as soon as possible and by the latest within 40 calendar days. NHS England may charge a fee for each subject access request. You will be advised of any charge and how this can be paid once we have received your request and if necessary you may also be asked to provide proof of identity.