Our Sustainable Development Unit has produced this guide to support organisations to take a coordinated, strategic and action-orientated approach to sustainability.
The health and care system aims to continually improve health and wellbeing, and deliver quality health care. The NHS has a responsibility to provide high quality health care whilst protecting human health minimising negative impacts on the environment.
Our resources support organisations to produce their Green Plan to address areas such as:
- air pollution
- energy, waste and water efficiency
- plastic reduction
- carbon emissions
- staff engagement in social and environmental activity
Green Plans were formerly known as Sustainable Development Management Plans or SDMPs. The supporting documents continue to refer to SDMPs, and not Green Plans. Following the outcomes of developing the Net Zero Plan, the Green Plan guide and the additional supporting documents will be updated.
- How to produce a Green Plan – This practical document will help sustainability and social value leads in health and care organisations, commissioners and providers, to compile their Green Plan for their organisation.
Additional resources: workbooks
- Workbook B: identifying priorities through a materiality assessment
- Annex B – materiality assessment chart tool