This page features all the current events, webinars and opportunities available to care makers. There are some fantastic learning and development opportunities and we will do our best to keep you posted as and when they arise.
If you are looking for care makers to attend an event please contact email@example.com and we will send you a form to complete and organise attendance. Please note there may be a need to cover care maker travel costs for some events.
Fab Change Day, 19 October 2016
NHS Change Day started in 2013 and was the biggest day of collective action for improvement in the history of the NHS. A countrywide event in England, NHS Change Day was a grassroots initiative devised and driven by a small group of emerging clinicians and improvement leaders. Their idea was to create a mass movement of NHS staff demonstrating the difference they can make by one simple act, proving that large-scale improvement is possible.
For more information about fab change day 2016 and how to get involved please visit: Fab Change Day website.
CCG placement scheme
The care maker CCG commissioning placement scheme provides care makers with an opportunity to further their knowledge of clinical commissioning groups and the work that they do, increasing understanding of how this impacts on their work.
In May 2016 the new nursing, midwifery and care staff framework; Leading Change, Adding Value, was launched. The care maker CCG placement scheme provides the opportunity for care makers and CCGs to explore local commissioning priorities in a geographical area that address unwarranted variation in healthcare delivery.
The main objectives of the scheme are to:
- Provide care makers with an opportunity to gain knowledge and experience of how a CCG:
- Operates within a local health economy and its governance processes.
- Works as a multi-agency function with key stakeholders and multi-disciplinary teams to provide a quality service for their local communities.
- Provide an opportunity for care makers to understand available career paths within a CCG.
- Work in partnership with care makers to utilise their experiences to input on CCG commissioning intentions and commissioning strategy.
- Relate their experience to the new framework for nursing, midwifery and care staff: Leading Change, Adding Value to understand how CCGs can help to close the three gaps identified in the Five Year Forward View – the health and wellbeing gap, the care and quality gap, and, the funding and efficiency gap, identify unwarranted variation and deliver the ‘triple aim’ measures of better outcomes, better experiences for patients and staff, in addition to making better use of resources.
The placement scheme runs once a year, for more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The care maker celebration event, February 2016
In February 2016 the NHS England care maker central team hosted a care maker celebration event at Edge Hill University. The event was the first ever national conference to celebrate the NHS England care maker programme.
The conference was a chance to celebrate the value of care makers and showcase some of the remarkable work that has been happening in the past three years, especially how care makers have championed the 6Cs to drive the quality agenda as part of their caring role.
The following video features highlights from a sample of presentations on the day, as well as interviews with Jane Cummings Chief Nursing Officer for England, care makers and people involved with the programme.
Guidance on how to join a webinar
Webinars are online events which you can join from the comfort of your own home/office or pretty much anywhere you like as long as you have internet access and a telephone line. All of our webinars are run through Cisco WebEx which is supported by most computers and iPads – it may ask you to download the free software if it’s your first webinar but it should only take a few minutes to do this.
If you are interested in a webinar then simply register by following the registration link, you will be asked for:
- Your name
- Job title
- Email address
Once you have typed your details, click register. WebEx will then send you an email thanking you for registering and it will include a link for you to follow on the day of the webinar (remember to keep this safe as you will need this to join the webinar).
Travel expenses and accommodation
Unfortunately for the majority of local events NHS England are not in a position to reimburse travel expenses or pay for overnight accommodation. Sometimes the event organisers may have a small budget and they may be able to organise rail travel/reimburse travel expenses; others may not be in a position to do so. In these cases we tend to ask for care makers from the local area to attend. We will state if travel expenses are included.