The NHS Long Term Plan set out an ambitious programme to transform mental health services, autism and learning disability; with a particular focus on boosting community services and reducing the over reliance on inpatient care.
In autumn 2019, a National Quality Improvement Taskforce was established to improve current specialist children and young people’s inpatient mental health, autism and learning disability services in England.
The Taskforce seeks to make a rapid set of improvements in care, with delivery of the programme by March 2022. The charter of the Taskforce further describes its aims, what it will look at, it’s working principles and how it relates to the wider context.
The Taskforce’s Independent Oversight Board is chaired by Anne Longfield OBE, the Children’s Commissioner for England. This will provide independent, expert advice and scrutiny on the work of the Taskforce.
The Delivery Group is chaired by John Lawlor OBE, the Chief Executive of NHS Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, and senior responsible officer for the Taskforce. This Delivery Group, made up of leaders from across the NHS and other key partners, will implement the Taskforce objectives.
How stakeholders can work with the Taskforce
The Taskforce will work closely with children, young people, and their families, who must be at the centre of our work to drive rapid improvements in inpatient services.
Several national stakeholders and experts by experience are represented on the Independent Oversight Group and Delivery Group, and the Taskforce will draw on national and local organisations’ expertise and advice which will be essential to the Taskforce’s mission.
If you have any questions about the Taskforce please contact email@example.com
Membership of the Independent Strategic Oversight Group
The current membership of the Independent Strategic Oversight Group is detailed below, but this may change as the Taskforce draws on different expertise at different stages of its work.
- Chair: Anne Longfield OBE, Children’s Commissioner for England
- Sue Bailey, former President, Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Nicola Bartzis, expert by experience
- Andy Bell, Deputy Chief Executive, Centre for Mental Health
- Andy Dempsey, Director of Partnerships and Strategy, Gloucestershire County Council
- Laura Bond/Kate Yeung, Assistant Director, Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND), Department of Education
- Dr Judy Eaton, Consultant Clinical Psychologist and Clinical Director, Help for Psychology
- Emily Frith, Head of Policy and Advocacy, Children’s Commissioner’s Office
- Christine Lenehan, Director, Council for Disabled Children
- Caroline Stevens, Chief Executive, National Autistic Society
- Emma Thomas, Chief Executive Officer, Young Minds
Membership of the Taskforce Delivery Group
The current membership of the Taskforce Delivery Group is detailed below, but this may change as the Taskforce draws on different expertise at different stages of its work.
- John Lawlor, CEO and Senior Responsible Officer, Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust
- Teresa Fenech, National Taskforce Director of Nursing, NHS England and NHS Improvement
- Professor Euan, Consultant Nurse and Visiting Professor, Hails Royal College of Nursing (RCN)
- Ken Courtenay, Consultant Psychiatrist Intellectual Disability Chair, Faculty Psychiatry, Royal College of Psychiatrists (RCoPsych)
- Jim Thomas, Head for Workforce Innovation, Skills for Care Programme,
- Kevin Cleary, Deputy Chief Inspector Mental Health and Community Services Hospital Directorate, Care Quality Commission (CQC)
- Anne Clarke, Regional Director (Consultancy and Research), Skills for Health
- Tina Irani, Consultant Child and Adolescent Forensic Psychiatrist, NHS England and NHS Improvement
- Dr John Devapriam, Medical Director, Worcestershire Health and Care, NHS Trust
- Luisa Stewart, Head of Mental Health (Children Young People and Perinatal), NHS England and NHS Improvement
- Tony Romero, CEO, Cygnet
- David Wilmott, Director of Nursing, Cygnet
- Cathy Edwards, Clinical Programmes Director Specialised Commissioning, NHS England and NHS Improvement
- Sue North, Head of Children and Young People, Learning Disability and Autism Team, NHS England and NHS Improvement
- Dr James Cusack, Director of Science, Autistica
- Sarah Nardone, Head of Service for Lincolnshire, Association of Directors of Childrens Services Ltd (ADCS)
- Meredith Teasdale, Strategic Director, Together for Families (ADSC)
- Moira Wilson, Care and Health Improvement Adviser, Association of Directors of Adult Social Services (ADASS)
- Ben Higgins, Chief Executive, BILD
- Jane Padmore, Executive Director of Quality and Safety (Chief Nurse), Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust
- Wendy Minihinett, Expert by Experience
- Isabelle Garnett, Expert by Experience
- Jane Cannon, Expert by Experience
- Julie Godfrey, Head of Programme Management Office (Taskforce), NHS England and NHS Improvement
- Kate Bedford, Senior Project Manager (Taskforce), NHS England and NHS Improvement
- Emma Reynolds, Communication Lead (Taskforce), NHS England and NHS Improvement