New Care Models for commissioning tertiary mental health services
Bringing patients closer to home helps them to maintain a better connection with their families and friends, and improve how they interact with local services. This programme aims to reduce length of stay and the number of patients who are out-of-area in a number of specialised mental health services. It delegates responsibility for the budget for in-patient services to local provider partnerships so they can ensure funding is spent as effectively as possible. Any expenditure gains are retained by the partnerships to invest in improving patient pathways, including in the community. Pilots in this programme:
- use a multi-disciplinary team approach, with providers taking ownership of their patient population
- develop a wide range of therapeutic interventions across a whole pathway
- include a focus on recovery through accommodation, community activities, social networks and employment advice
- work proactively with the criminal justice system, local authorities and secondary care providers
- expand both liaison support and community follow-up provision
- develop local capacity and capability to manage all types of patients.
The total budget of the programme across two waves is approximately £650 million. All selected sites focus on admission avoidance, shorter lengths of stay and repatriating patients from out of area placements. The six sites in the first wave of the programme went live April 2017. The wave two sites are launching gradually from October 2017 and at 1 April 2018 seven of the 11 wave two sites were live, giving a total of 13.
A full evaluation of the programme is underway and will report in late November 2018. Feedback from sites has been really promising, with over 150 people brought back into care in their area in the first six months. In the same period overall in-patient bed-days fell by 2.6 per cent. Read about the experiences of the South West pilot in this blog.
Wave 1 sites – Live on 1 April 2017
CAMHs Tier 4
- NCM site: North East and North Yorkshire (North region) | Lead Provider: Tees, Esk and Wear Valley FT.
- NCM site: West London (London region) | Lead Provider: West London NHS Trust | Partner: Central & North West London FT.
- NCM site: South London Partnership (London region) | Lead provider: Oxleas FT | Partners: South London and Maudsley FT; SW London and St George’s NHS Trust.
- NCM site: South West (South region) | Lead provider: Devon Partnership NHS Trust | Partners: Avon and Wiltshire FT; Cornwall FT; 2gether FT; Cygnet; Elysium; Livewell; Somerset Partnership FT.
- NCM site: Thames Valley and Wessex (South region) | Lead provider: Oxford Health FT | Partners: Berkshire FT; Dorset FT; Central and North West London FT; Solent NHS Trust; Southern Health FT; Isle of Wight NHS Trust; Response.
- NCM site: West Midlands (Midlands and East region) | Lead provider: Birmingham and Solihull FT | Partners: South Staffordshire & Shropshire Healthcare FT; St Andrews.
Wave 2 sites
CAMHS Tier 4
- NCM site: Northumberland, Tyne and Wear (North region) | Lead provider: Northumberland, Tyne & Wear FT.
- NCM site: Hertfordshire Partnership (Midlands and East region) | Lead provider: Hertfordshire Partnership University Foundation Trust.
- NCM site: South London Partnership (London region) | Lead provider: South London & Maudsley FT | Partners: Oxleas FT and South West London & St Georges Mental Health NHS Trust.
- NCM site: West Yorkshire (North region) Lead provider: Leeds Community Healthcare NHS Trust Partners: Bradford District Care FT; Leeds and York Partnership FT and South West Yorkshire Partnership FT.
- NCM site: North East and Cumbria (North region) | Lead provider: Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys FT | Partner: Northumberland, Tyne and Wear FT.
- NCM site: North London (London region). Lead provider: Central and North West London; NELFT; East London and West London Mental Health.
Adult Eating Disorder
- NCM site: West Yorkshire. Lead Provider: Leeds and York Partnership FT. Partners: Bradford District Care FT and South West Yorkshire Partnership FT.
By July 2018
- NCM site: Kent, Surrey and Sussex (South region) | Lead provider: Sussex Partnership FT | Partners: Kent & Medway Partnership Trust and Surrey & Borders Partnership FT.
Adult Eating Disorder
- NCM site: Thames Valley and Wessex (South region) | Lead provider: Oxford Health FT | Partners: Avon & Wiltshire FT; Berkshire Healthcare FT; Surrey & Borders Partnership FT; Southern Health FT and 2gether FT; Priory/Partnerships in Care.
By October 2018
CAMHS Tier 4
- NCM site: Kent, Surrey and Sussex (South Region) | Lead provider: Surrey & Borders Partnerships FT | Partners: Sussex Partnership FT; Cygnet Health Care; Elysium Healthcare; The Huntercombe Group; Priory Healthcare and Partnerships in Care.
- NCM site: The Prospect Partnership (North region) | Lead provider: Mersey Care FT | Partners: Cheshire and Wirral Partnership FT; NW Boroughs FT; Elysium Health Care and Cygnet Health Care.