NHS England (West Midlands) covers a wide geography including Birmingham, Solihull, Wolverhampton, Walsall, Dudley, Coventry, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Redditch, Bromsgrove, Wyre Forest and Herefordshire. This area is serviced by one dedicated team based in Birmingham.
We are proud to work with such a dedicated and professional group of doctors and want to ensure that we stay in close communication with you and provide a service that supports you in your work. This webpage serves as a resource for you so please do get in touch and tell us what else you would like to see on it.
Responsible Officer and Medical Director:
Associate Medical Directors:
- Dr Sarah Marwick, Appraisal & Revalidation – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr Francis Campbell, Performer Concerns – email@example.com
- Dr Karen Marlow (Coventry & Warwickshire) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr Rosalind Piper (Worcestershire, Solihull, Birmingham South Central) – email@example.com
- Dr Jenny Barnes (Herefordshire) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr Stephen Pritchard (Wolverhampton, Dudley, Walsall) – email@example.com
- Dr Jeffrey Foster (Birmingham Cross City) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr Robert Grinsted (Walsall, Sandwell & West Birmingham) – email@example.com
- Hari Atwal, Appraisal & Revalidation – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sunday Imaji, Performer Concerns – email@example.com
- Hardeep Kaur, Strategy – firstname.lastname@example.org
Appraisal & Revalidation Team Contact Details:
Performer List Applications / Concerns Team Contact Details:
Useful appraisal and revalidation information
- Where possible appraisals will be aligned to birth months. There will be a phased movement to birth months between 2016 and 2018.
- Appraisals must be undertaken annually between 1 April and 31 March.
- Appraisals are allocated 6-9 months in advance to allow appraisals to be scheduled in plenty of time before the due month. Doctors are encouraged to agree a date as soon as possible before the initial notification and definitely before the RMS 28 day final reminder.
- Appraisals should be completed by the end of the month in which they are due. If for a valid reason this is not possible, the doctor needs to apply for a postponement in advance of the appraisal due month and not in retrospect. Doctors should not ask their appraisers to defer the appraisal beyond the month they are due without having submitted a postponement form.
- Doctors who are planning to work abroad should advise the team as soon as possible; it may be that an appraisal is due whilst abroad and therefore an approved appraiser will need to be allocated to do this.
- Doctors must present the requisite evidence for revalidation during their annual appraisals in the 5 years prior to their revalidation date. Failure to do so could mean the revalidation date may be deferred. Doctors are advised to check that all evidence is present at the final appraisal preceding their revalidation.
- To make a positive revalidation recommendation, the responsible officer must be assured that a doctor has completed their MSF and PSQ. Doctors are advised to make the documents available to review at least 1 month before their revalidation date.
- There is a continuing need to ensure that revalidation, delivered through annual appraisal, supports GPs in their personal and professional development and facilitates quality improvements in practice. The new RCGP Guide to Supporting Information for Appraisal and Revalidation aims to reduce inconsistencies in interpretation of requirements and simplify and streamline the appraisal and revalidation process.
- RCGP Guide to supporting information for appraisal and revalidation (March 2016).
- A brief introduction to the new RCGP Guide to Supporting Information for Appraisal and Revalidation.
- RCGP Guide to Supporting Information for Appraisal & Revalidation – March 16
- NHS England Revalidation Homepage
- NHS England Appraisal Policy
- Improving the Inputs to Medical Appraisal
- Performance Policy
- GMC supporting information for Appraisal and Revalidation 2012
- GMC regarding Revalidation
- GMC Guidance on Appraisal and Revalidation
The following toolkits are available to support you through the appraisal process. The majority of doctors in the West Midlands use Clarity.