The vanguard and the people it serves
The Sutton Homes of Care vanguard sees partners from across health and care working together with care homes and local communities to provide high quality, value for money services that enhance the health and wellbeing of care home residents.
The partners are drawn from a range of NHS and voluntary sector organisations including:
- Sutton care homes
- NHS Sutton Clinical Commissioning Group
- the London Borough of Sutton
- Epsom and St Helier Hospitals NHS Trust
- St Raphael’s Hospice
- Sutton and Merton Community Services (the community division of The Royal Marsden)
- Age UK Sutton
- South West London and St George’s Mental Health Trust
- The Alzheimer’s Society
- London Ambulance Service
- Sutton Centre for the Voluntary Sector
Together, the partners serve a population of 190,000.
What is changing?
The vanguard is focused on developing three key components:
- integrated care
- education and training
- quality assurance and safety
A number of interventions or actions to prevent unnecessary hospital admissions are already improving the quality of care provided. The aim now is to reach a greater number and range of care home residents, further developing and enhancing the programme.
Joined up teams of medical, nursing, social care and voluntary sector professionals will work together to improve care for each individual, which will result in improved outcomes, particularly for residents with complex long-term conditions or mental illness, including dementia.
Whilst much has already been achieved, the vanguard believes that further work could bring even greater benefits not only in Sutton but also for care home residents nationally through replication of its successful strategies as part of the vanguard programme.
- Consistently safe and high quality nursing and social care in care homes
- Enhanced competence and confidence of care home staff.
Contact Sutton Homes of Care