The vanguard and the people it serves
The aim of Better Care Together is to enable the communities of Morecambe Bay to be as healthy as they can be.
This will involve delivering the’ triple aim’ – better population health, better quality services, delivered at a lower cost and with higher staff morale.
The Bay Health Partners are:
- University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust
- Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- North West Ambulance Service
- Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust
- Lancashire County Council
- Cumbria County Council
- NHS Lancashire North Clinical Commissioning Group
- North Lancashire Medical Services
- South Cumbria Primary Care Collaborative
The vanguard partners serve a population of 365,000 people in an area that is geographically spread out, financially challenged and with significant deprivation and health inequality.
What is changing?
Twelve new integrated health and care teams are being created, including professionals (nurses, doctors, social workers etc.) These teams have a mix of different health and care skills and are based in twelve local areas covering Morecambe Bay known as ‘Integrated Care Communities’. These professionals will work together, across the area, in three clinical networks.
The aim is to deliver consistent care for individuals but with priorities localised (for example the priorities for the people of Kendal will be different to those for the people of Barrow-in-Furness). Care will be provided as close to home as it can be with people going to hospital only when they need the specialist care that only a hospital can provide.
Key to success is that whole communities become much more involved in better managing their own health and wellbeing, as improved population health cannot be achieved just through service delivery alone.
- Improved consistency and quality of care, both in and out of hospital
- People to be cared for as close to home as they can be, with hospitals concentrating on those patients who need specialist treatment or emergency care
- A health system with exciting and innovative teams working together.
The vanguard is also taking advantage of support from the national programme team to improve and introduce new technologies – such as offering patients access to online consultations – to enable more care to be delivered closer to home. Better Care Together is also working on a number of projects to empower people and communities to enjoy better health.
Contact Better Care Together