Chair: Dr Stephen Sturgiss, Maternity Clinical Lead / Consultant in Obstetrics and Fetal Medicine, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS FT
The Maternity Patient Safety Learning Network brings together representatives with an interest in risk management from across the Northern England Clinical Networks footprint.
Membership of the group is responsible for implementing changes and service development within their own areas and teams. The group is accountable to the Maternity Clinical Advisory Group.
The purpose of the Maternity Patient Safety Learning Network is:
To review risk management processes and share learning and good practice
Facilitation of external clinicians to attend identified case reviews
To be a regional forum to discuss any issues of current interest to risk management and safety in maternity services including:
- Sharing of case reviews: particularly relating to the key targets for improving maternity safety – maternal deaths, intrapartum stillbirths, term neonatal deaths within 24 hours, hypoxic-ischaemic encephalopathy (HIE);
- Sharing of audit and risk management processes to enable benchmarking, sharing of best practice and standardisation between units;
- Discussion and support to implement any national safety initiatives or responses to key maternity reports such as Each Baby Counts and MBRRACE;
- Sharing of guidelines, processes, examples of good practice and support for solving issues.
Members include representation from:
- Clinical Governance
- Local Supervising Authority
- Maternity Clinical Network