Potential themes for the Community nursing plan to focus on
Initial engagement with community nurses has identified areas for the Community nursing plan to address. These themes are a starting point and will be adapted in the light of the wider engagement and as the needs of the community nursing workforce changes over the years to come.
Theme one: community nursing offers attractive fulfilling and flexible careers
Action area one: deliver diverse career pathways
- Career frameworks that offer opportunities in the varied role of community nursing.
- Opportunities for qualifications and skills development.
- Practical ideas and guidance for career advancement.
Action area two: advance research and innovation
- Opportunities for all community nurses to undertake research.
- Research as ‘everybody’s business’.
- A culture of innovation and willingness to try things.
Theme two: community nursing works collaboratively to improve patient outcomes and experience
Action area three: build capacity of integrated care systems
- Role of community nurse maximised in planning and decision-making.
- Supply and demand modelling to identify the necessary scale and skills for community nursing.
- Commissioning of community nursing undertaken on a collective integrated care system level.
- Community nursing contribution fully realised through integrated ways of working.
Action area four: drive use of digital and data
- Real time data access and capture to support patients and families.
- Widespread deployment of digital innovation to support efficient working.
- Enhanced reporting and analytics, including focus on data quality and quality improvement.
Theme three: community nursing gets the full profile and recognition it deserves
Action area six: raise the profile and celebrate success
- Greater awareness and appreciation amongst the public and decision-makers.
- Equality with other parts of the health and social care workforce.
- Increased confidence and motivation amongst those nursing in the community.
- Shared best practice and leadership across community nursing.
Action area seven: demonstrate value and understand the economics
- Evidence for the effectiveness, efficiency, and value of community nursing.
- Clarity on the financial and commissioning levers to support workforce growth.
- Standardised national approach to costing for community nursing services.
Please tell us:
- if you think these are the right ideas
- what you like best
- how can we build on successes
- if we missed anything
- your three wishes for community nursing over the next five years.
Share your views with us by emailing email@example.com
You can also join one of the community nursing networks helping deliver this plan:
- Practitioners network – email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- Community nursing digital network – register for a FutureNHS to join this network
- Community nursing ambassadors network – register for a FutureNHS account to join this network