The leading national health and care bodies in England have come together to publish ‘Delivering the Forward View: NHS Shared Planning Guidance 2016/17 – 2020/21’, setting out the steps to help local organisations deliver a sustainable, transformed health service and improve the quality of care, wellbeing and NHS finances.
It is published by NHS England, NHS Improvement (the new body which will bring together Monitor and the NHS Trust Development Authority), the Care Quality Commission, Public Health England, Health Education England and NICE – the bodies which developed the Five Year Forward View in October 2014.
The planning guidance is backed up by £560 billion of NHS funding, including a new Sustainability and Transformation Fund which will support financial balance, the delivery of the Five Year Forward View, and enable new investment in key priorities.
As part of the planning process, all NHS organisations are asked to produce two separate but interconnected plans:
- A local health and care system ‘Sustainability and Transformation Plan’, which will cover the period October 2016 to March 2021; and
- A plan by organisation for 2016/17. This will need to reflect the emerging Sustainability and Transformation Plan.
NHS England, and NHS Improvement (via Monitor and the NHS Trust Development Authority) have published supporting Technical Guidance for commissioners and providers.
Appendix 1 of the Technical Guidance provides more information about the content of each Annex.
Supplementary technical guidance relevant for all NHS organisations
- Annex 1: Activity Plan, Contract Tracker and SRG Operational Resilience Template Guidance
- Readmission credit guidance
Supplementary technical guidance for commissioners
- Annex 2: NHS England guidance on commissioner operational plans attached
- Annex 3: Guidance for completion of commissioner finance templates
- Annex 4: Better Care Fund planning requirements for 2016-17
- Supplementary guidance – 1% non-recurrent
- Supplementary guidance – 1% non-recurrent FAQs
Supplementary technical guidance for NHS trusts and foundation trusts
- Annex 5: NHS Improvement guidance on provider operational plans – (published by Monitor)
- Annex 6: Annual plan review template guidance for NHS foundation trusts – (published by Monitor)
- Annex 7: Guidance for completion of NHS trust finance templates – (published by NHS Trust Development Authority)
- Annex 8: Workforce guidance for NHS trusts – (published by NHS Trust Development Authority)
The Technical definitions and Supplementary technical definitions describe the activity indicators and set out definitions, monitoring, accountability and planning requirements for each measure.
Further guidance on the sustainability and transformation fund
- The Sustainability and Transformation Fund and financial control totals for 2016/17 : your questions answered