In March 2016, CCGs were invited to express their interest in working with neighbouring CCGs to test ways of improving choice and personalisation for women accessing maternity services. This marked the first step of implementing some of the recommendations from the National Maternity Review: Better Births.
A panel has now selected seven Maternity Choice and Personalisation Pioneers:
- Pioneer 1 – Halton CCG, Liverpool CCG, St. Helen’s CCG, Knowsley CCG, South Sefton CCG, Southport and Formby CCG, Wirral CCG, Warrington CCG, West Lancashire CCG, West Cheshire CCG, South Cheshire CCG
- Pioneer 2 – Birmingham South Central CCG, Birmingham CrossCity CCG, Solihull CCG
- Pioneer 3 – Salford CCG, Wigan CCG, Bolton CCG
- Pioneer 4 – North East Hampshire & Farnham CCG, North Hampshire CCG, West Hampshire CCG, South East Hampshire CCG, Fareham &, Gosport CCG, Southampton CCG, Portsmouth CCG, Isle of Wight CCG
- Pioneer 5 – Croydon CCG, Kingston CCG, Merton CCG, Richmond CCG, Sutton CCG, Wandsworth CCG
- Pioneer 6 – Newham CCG, Tower Hamlets CCG, Waltham Forest CCG
- Pioneer 7 – West Kent CCG , High Weald Lewes and Haven CCG, Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
The Pioneers’ scale, geographical spread, mix of urban and rural localities, and ambition – including their enthusiasm to work collaboratively both locally and nationally – provide a strong foundation for demonstrating how choice and personalisation can be improved for women accessing maternity services.
All of the Pioneers will seek to deepen as well as widen the choices available to women across CCG boundaries, by attracting new providers into their areas and by empowering women to take control in decisions about the care they receive to meet their needs and preferences.
NHS England and other national partners will support and work with the Pioneers to develop and test new approaches, and promote their national adoption.
If you would like to find out more about the Maternity Choice and Personalisation Pioneers, please contact the NHS England Choice and Personalisation team: firstname.lastname@example.org.