Barking Riverside is an emerging neighbourhood set alongside 2km of Thames river frontage. 10,800 new homes are planned over the next 15 years; 500 – 900 per year from 2017. It is one of the most ambitious and important new developments in the UK.
Our vision for Barking Riverside Healthy New Town is to apply the latest health and social care research and practice in the planning and development of the built environment to create a healthy and resilient community. We will work with the people who live, work and visit here to increase the evidence base and refine the strategy taken.
Our approach includes:
- Creating a unique co-production partnership with the community, through a Community Interest Company, to harness existing and emerging assets;
- Collaborating with pioneering academics to create new knowledge on the contribution of green spaces and waterways to improving health and reducing health inequalities – and embedding this into planning policy;
- Applying the latest learning on ‘age-friendly’ built environments and public spaces, and ensuring Barking Riverside is liveable and inclusive for all ages;
- Embedding new models of health and social care delivery and innovation, through Care City NHS Innovation Test Bed.
- Supporting social regeneration and community cohesion between old and new communities.