NHS England is also working with the government and partners across the health and care system to deliver the ‘End of life care commitment’ announced by the government in their response to the independent review on choice in end of life care.
The government’s six commitments, which closely align to the ambitions, are made to the public and aim to end variation in end of life care by 2020. They are:
- honest discussions between care professionals and dying people;
- dying people making informed choices about their care;
- personalised care plans for all;
- the discussion of personalised care plans with care professionals;
- the involvement of family and carers in dying people’s care;
- a key contact so dying people know who to contact at any time of day.