The vanguard and the people it serves
The North East Urgent Care Network is transforming the regional urgent and emergency care system to further improve consistency of care and clinical standards, by linking services together better and delivering high quality and responsive health and social care.
The vanguard partners include all the key physical health, mental health and care organisations in the region, which already have a strong history of working together.
- Academic Health Science Network
- Clinical Health Information Network
- Health Education North East
- nine strategic resilience groups and associated members
- North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- north east local authorities
- North of England Commissioning Support
- regional out of hours providers
- Royal College of Psychiatry
- voluntary organisations’ Network North East
The network covers a population of 2.71 million across Northumberland, Tees, Esk and Wear Valley, Newcastle, Northumbria, Gateshead, Tyneside, Sunderland, County Durham, Darlington and Hartlepool.
What is changing?
The vanguard partners will work together to deliver consistent and seamless urgent and emergency care, wherever patients go for treatment and whatever the day or hour.
Patient experience will also be improved through a range of developments including direct booking of appointments through NHS 111, shorter waiting times and reduced duplication and ‘handovers’ to other services.
Families and carers will be included in the development of ‘care plans’ which set out how individuals will be looked after, to increase their confidence and help make sure the patients’ wishes are met.
There will also be improved support for anyone facing mental health crisis.
The network is involving staff in the design of these new ways of working and giving them opportunities to enhance their skills. They are also being given extra support when they need to make clinical decisions and more training to better understand mental health issues.
- Better joined up systems will improve the efficiency and cost effectiveness of urgent and emergency care
- The consistent and seamless care offered will improve patient experience, health and wellbeing.