Strategic Clinical Networks focus on priority service areas to bring about improvement in the quality and equity of care and outcomes of their population, both now and in the future.
About the Strategic Clinical Networks
Strategic Clinical Networks bring together those who use, provide and commission the service to make improvements in outcomes for complex patient pathways using an integrated, whole system approach.
Strategic Clinical Networks work in partnership with commissioners (including local government), supporting their decision making and strategic planning, by working across the boundaries of commissioner, provider and voluntary organisations as a vehicle for improvement for patients, carers and the public. In this way, Strategic Clinical Networks will:
- reduce unwarranted variation in health and well being services
- encourage innovation in how services are provided now and in the future
- provide clinical advice and leadership to support their decision making and strategic planning.
Established in 2013 as a result of the policy documents Strategic Clinical Networks: The way forward (July 2012) and Strategic Clinical Networks: Single Operating Framework (November 2012) the Strategic Clinical Networks serve in key areas of major health and well being challenge, currently:
- Cardiovascular (including cardiac, stroke, renal and diabetes);
- Maternity, Children and Young People;
- Mental Health, Dementia and Neurological Conditions
Each region may develop other Strategic Clinical Networks depending on local need.
The networks also work on cross-cutting themes aligned to the domains of the NHS Outcomes framework
- Parity of Esteem
- Urgent and Emergency Care
- End of Life Care
- The Way Forward – Strategic clinical networks – The criteria used to decide on the first strategic clinical networks hosted by NHS England, detailing the geographical organisation of network support teams and their structure.
- The Way Forward – Frequently asked questions
- Single Operating Framework for Strategic Clinical Networks – The next steps, following on from the Way Forward.
- Strategic Clinical Networks update – November 2012
- Strategic clinical networks – Frequently asked questions
- Strategic clinical networks – Frequently asked questions for staff