Patient activation: at the heart of self-care support
People must be at the centre of a more sustainable health system with services shaped around their needs and preferences. Patient Activation is a core enabler for NHS England’s Self-care Support Programme, and will significantly influence the way in which people are supported to manage their long-term conditions. In particular, measuring patient activation using the PAM tool will enable health care professionals to tailor services to individual needs to improve their health outcomes, ensure a better experience of care and reduce unplanned care admissions.
In his blog post, Dr Alf Collins, national clinical advisor, talks about NHS England’s emerging Self-care Support Programme and how by measuring people’s skills, knowledge and confidence, they can be supported to better manage their long-term conditions.
In April 2016, NHS England invited applications for free Patient Activation licences from key NHS change programmes (including new care model vanguards, integrated personal commissioning demonstrator sites, test beds and integration pioneers), CCGs, local authorities and third sector organisations providing primary care services.
Applications were assessed on how they will use the PAM tool to support people to develop their knowledge, skills and confidence to manage their long-term conditions more effectively. You can read more about NHS England’s vision in our patient activation narrative.
The list of organisations successful in securing free access to PAM licences is given below. All of these sites, in partnership with other organisations, will use the PAM tool to measure levels of patient activation in their local areas, tailor interventions and support people to manage their own health. For more detail about these organisations and how they will use the PAM licences, please click on their name below.
- Aylesbury Vale and Chiltern CCG
- Blackpool Teaching Hospitals Foundation Trust (part of the Fylde Coast Vanguard)
- Brent CCG
- Bristol CCG
- Central London CCG
- Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (part of the ‘Developing One NHS in Dorset’ Vanguard)
- Ealing CCG
- Gloucestershire CCG (part of the Integrated Personal Commissioning Programme and the test bed site)
- Fylde & Wyre CCG (part of the Fylde Coast Vanguard and the Lancashire & Cumbria Innovation Alliance test bed site)
- Kernow CCG (part of the Integrated Personal Commissioning Programme)
- H4All CIC Ltd – Hillingdon CCG
- Hammersmith and Fulham CCG
- Harrow CCG
- Hartlepool and Stockton-on-Tees CCG (part of the Integrated Personal Commissioning Programme)
- Horsham and Mid Sussex CCG
- Hounslow CCG
- Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust (part of the ‘Better Care Together’ (Morecambe Bay Health Community) Vanguard and Lancashire & Cumbria Innovation Alliance test bed host)
- Leeds Community Healthcare Trust
- Luton CCG (part of the Integrated Personal Commissioning Programme)
- Newham CCG
- North Hampshire & West Hampshire CCGs (closely affiliated to the Better Local Care (Southern Hampshire) Vanguard and part of the Integrated Personal Commissioning Programme)
- North Somerset CCG
- Pennine Acute Hospital Trust
- Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust (part of the ‘Stockport Together’ Vanguard)
- Sheffield CCG (closely affiliated to the ‘Working Together Partnership’ Vanguard)
- Solihull CCG (part of the ‘Solihull Together for Better Lives’ Vanguard)
- Somerset CCG (part of the ‘South Somerset Symphony Programme’ Vanguard and the Integrated Personal Commissioning Programme)
- South Eastern Hampshire CCG (closely affiliated to the ‘Better Local Care’ (Southern Hampshire) Vanguard and part of the Integrated Personal Commissioning Programme)
- South Gloucestershire CCG
- South Tyneside CCG
- Southern Health Foundation Trust (part of the Better Local Care (Southern Hampshire), and North East Hampshire and Farnham Vanguards)
- Southwark and Lambeth Strategic Partnership (sharing licences with the Foundation Healthcare Group Vanguard)
- Tameside Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Tower Hamlets CCG (part of the Tower Hamlets Integrated Provider Partnership Vanguard and the Integrated Personal Commissioning Programme)
- West London CCG
- Wirral CCG (part of the ‘Wirral Partners’ Vanguard and the ‘Cheshire and Merseyside Women’s and Children’s Services’ Vanguard)
- Worcestershire Health and Care NHS Trust
NHS England will also work with some other sites to further develop their patient activation proposals.
Sites that are part of the Integrated Personal Commissioning Programme:
- Barnsley CCG
- Cheshire West and Chester Council
- Hampshire County Council
- North, East and West Devon CCG
- Portsmouth City Council
- South West Lincolnshire CCG
New Care Models Vanguard sites:
- Derbyshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust (part of the Wellbeing Erewash Vanguard)
- Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust (closely affiliated to Lakeside Healthcare Vanguard)
- West Cheshire CCG (part of the West Cheshire Way Vanguard)
Test bed site:
- Heywood, Middleton and Rochdale CCG
For more information about the recently completed application process, please see the Frequently Asked Questions.
Other organisations using PAM licences received from NHS England in early 2016 include Leeds City Council, Liverpool CCG, Waltham Forest CCG, and Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust.
If you have any queries about Patient Activation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.