Patient activation: at the heart of supported self care
People must be at the centre of a more sustainable health system with services shaped around their needs and preferences. Patient Activation is a core enabler for NHS England’s Supported Self care programme, and significantly influences the way in which people are supported to manage their long-term conditions. In particular, measuring patient activation using the PAM tool enables health care professionals to tailor their approaches to individual needs to improve their health outcomes, ensure a better experience of care and reduce unplanned care admissions.
In his blog post, Dr Alf Collins, national clinical advisor, talks about NHS England’s Supported Self care programme and how by measuring people’s skills, knowledge and confidence, they can be supported to better manage their long-term conditions.
In April 2016, NHS England invited applications for Patient Activation licences from key NHS change programmes (including new care model vanguards, integrated personal commissioning demonstrator sites, test beds and integration pioneers), CCGs, local authorities and third sector organisations.
Applications were assessed on how the PAM tool will be used to support people to develop their knowledge, skills and confidence to manage their long-term conditions more effectively. You can read more about NHS England’s vision in our patient activation narrative.
The list of organisations successful in securing the PAM licences is given below. These sites, in partnership with other organisations, are using the PAM tool to measure levels of patient activation in their local areas, tailor interventions and support people to manage their own health. For more detail about these organisations and how they are using the PAM licences, please click on their name below.
- Aylesbury Vale and Chiltern CCG
- Blackpool Teaching Hospitals Foundation Trust (part of the Fylde Coast Vanguard)
- Barnsley CCG
- Brent CCG
- Bristol CCG
- Central London CCG
- Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (part of the ‘Developing One NHS in Dorset’ Vanguard)
- Ealing CCG
- Gloucestershire CCG (part of the Integrated Personal Commissioning Programme and the test bed site)
- Fylde & Wyre CCG (part of the Fylde Coast Vanguard and the Lancashire & Cumbria Innovation Alliance test bed site)
- Kernow CCG (part of the Integrated Personal Commissioning Programme)
- H4All CIC Ltd – Hillingdon CCG
- Hammersmith and Fulham CCG
- Harrow CCG
- Hartlepool and Stockton-on-Tees CCG (part of the Integrated Personal Commissioning Programme)
- Heywood, Middleton and Rochdale CCG (Long term conditions test bed site)
- Horsham and Mid Sussex CCG
- Hounslow CCG
- Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust (part of the ‘Better Care Together’ (Morecambe Bay Health Community) Vanguard and Lancashire & Cumbria Innovation Alliance test bed host)
- Leeds Community Healthcare Trust
- Luton CCG (part of the Integrated Personal Commissioning Programme)
- Newham CCG
- North Hampshire & West Hampshire CCGs (closely affiliated to the Better Local Care (Southern Hampshire) Vanguard and part of the Integrated Personal Commissioning Programme)
- Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust (closely affiliated to Lakeside Healthcare Vanguard)
- North Somerset CCG
- Pennine Acute Hospital Trust
- Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust (part of the ‘Stockport Together’ Vanguard)
- Portsmouth City Council
- Sheffield CCG (closely affiliated to the ‘Working Together Partnership’ Vanguard)
- Solihull CCG (part of the ‘Solihull Together for Better Lives’ Vanguard)
- Somerset CCG (part of the ‘South Somerset Symphony Programme’ Vanguard and the Integrated Personal Commissioning Programme)
- South Eastern Hampshire CCG (closely affiliated to the ‘Better Local Care’ (Southern Hampshire) Vanguard and part of the Integrated Personal Commissioning Programme)
- South Gloucestershire CCG
- South Tyneside CCG
- Southern Health Foundation Trust (part of the Better Local Care (Southern Hampshire), and North East Hampshire and Farnham Vanguards)
- Southwark and Lambeth Strategic Partnership (sharing licences with the Foundation Healthcare Group Vanguard)
- Tameside Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Tower Hamlets CCG (part of the Tower Hamlets Integrated Provider Partnership Vanguard and the Integrated Personal Commissioning Programme)
- West London CCG
- Wirral CCG (part of the ‘Wirral Partners’ Vanguard and the ‘Cheshire and Merseyside Women’s and Children’s Services’ Vanguard)
- Worcestershire Health and Care NHS Trust
NHS England is also working with some other sites to further develop their patient activation proposals.
Sites that are part of the Integrated Personal Commissioning Programme:
- Cheshire West and Chester Council
- Hampshire County Council
- North, East and West Devon CCG
- South West Lincolnshire CCG
New Care Models Vanguard sites:
- Derbyshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust (part of the Wellbeing Erewash Vanguard)
- West Cheshire CCG (part of the West Cheshire Way Vanguard)
For more information about the Patient Activation in NHS England’s Supported Self care programme, please see the Frequently Asked Questions.
Other organisations using PAM licences received from NHS England in early 2016 include Leeds City Council, Liverpool CCG, Waltham Forest CCG, and Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust.
If you have any queries about Patient Activation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.