Making health and social care information accessible
The Accessible Information Standard tells organisations how they should make sure that disabled patients receive information in formats that they can understand and receive appropriate support to help them to communicate.
The Accessible Information Standard is made up of:
- Accessible Information Standard specification
- Accessible Information Standard implementation guidance
Implementation of the standard
By 1 September 2015 all organisations that provide NHS or publicly funded adult social care must have started to prepare for implementation of the Accessible Information Standard. This includes:
- Assessing current systems and processes; and
- Developing and commencing roll out of a local implementation plan.
By 1 April 2016 all organisations that provide NHS or publicly funded adult social care must identify and record information and communication needs with service users:
- At the first interaction or registration with their service
- As part of on-going routine interaction with the service by existing service users.
By 31 July 2016 all organisations that provide NHS or publicly funded adult social care must have fully implemented and conform to the Accessible information Standard.