The Yorkshire Dialysis Decision Aid (YoDDA) research group* has developed a patient decision aid for people making decisions about having dialysis, and their friends and family.
Studies found YoDDA helped patients make an informed decision about choosing a dialysis option to fit into their life, when given out during their predialysis education by kidney nurses and doctors.
The YoDDA research was funded by Kidney Research UK with partners (Baxter Healthcare Ltd, the British Renal Society, Renal Association and National Kidney Federation) (2010-2014), The Informed Medical Decision Making Foundation (2010-2012), and the Yorkshire Kidney Research Fund (2013-2014).
Dialysis Decision Aid booklet
The Dialysis Decision Aid booklet was developed as a result of the project and provides information and support to help you make decisions on what dialysis treatment is right for you.
Since its launch in November 2014, the Kidney Research UK Dialysis Decision Aid booklet has been well received and much acclaimed by the renal community and patients alike.
- Highly commended at the 2014 BMA Patient Information Awards.
- Endorsed by the European Renal Best Practice advisory committee for the European Renal Association/European Dialysis and Transplantation Association and the International Society for Peritoneal Dialysis.
- Quality tested by the International Decision Aid Library Inventory System.
- Included as an online decision aid onto the patient.co.uk and international Med-Decs websites.
In June 2015 the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) approved the updated and revised booklet as part of their ‘endorsed resources’ initiative.
‘The decision aid booklet supports the recommendations on information and education in the NICE guidelines on chronic kidney disease, acute kidney injury and peritoneal dialysis. It also supports the statement about preparing for renal replacement therapy in the NICE quality standard for chronic kidney disease’. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (June 2015).
* The YoDDA research group included decision scientists, patients with kidney disease, kidney doctors and nurses, a clinical psychologist, health services researchers, and eHealth experts from the University of Leeds and partners at Sheffield, Leeds and Staffordshire kidney units.
Further information, and translated copies of the booklet, is available on the Kidney Research UK website.
Publications and videos about the research
Hilary Bekker talks about the YoDDA research and Dialysis Decision Aid Booklet at the 12th EUROPD Meeting, Krakow – Poland, October 2015: