The Queen’s Nursing Institute (QNI) was commissioned by NHS England to explore the current practices of caseload allocation within the District Nursing service in order to improve the basis on which the service is commissioned.
The study found that that more systematic service planning is required, which includes increased access to operational scheduling tools as well as more strategic, robust and flexible workforce planning methods.
This report makes two key recommendations:
- To develop a District Nurse Strategic Workforce Planning Tool
- This would collate data over a year or number of years ensuring that future demand is aligned with available workforce and budgets.
- To create a locally tailored operational scheduling tool
- This would capture and assign work to practitioners, based around patient need and practitioner availability.
- The two tools should be compatible with each other.