On 13 November 2015, the Secretary of State for Health announced a national ambition to halve the rates of stillbirths, neonatal and maternal deaths and intrapartum brain injuries in babies by 2030, with a 20% reduction by 2020.
The Government is now asking all organisations* with maternity services to consider committing to placing a spotlight on maternity and to make a public commitment to contribute towards achieving the national ambition and improve maternity outcomes.
We know that many across the maternity world have been striving to overcome patient safety problems at a local level for some time. We hope this national focus along with the greater level of support provided will complement this existing work, reinvigorate it and ultimately help all organisations achieve their aim of long lasting improvement and safer care.
Learn more in this guidance document;
- Spotlight on maternity: contributing to the Government’s national ambition to halve stillbirths, neonatal and maternal deaths and intrapartum brain injuries by 2030
Further tools, data sources and resources
- Read more about these ambitions and the wider packages of measures being provided by the Government
- Tools, data sources and guidance gathered together to save you time;
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, About TeamSTEPPS, accessed (2015)
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Education Curriculum
- Maternity & Children Quality Improvement Collaborative (MCQIC) Scotland
- MBRRACE–UK (2015) Saving Lives, Improving Mothers’ Care Surveillance of maternal deaths in the UK 2011-13 and lessons learned to inform maternity care from the UK and Ireland Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths and Morbidity 2009-13
- MBRRACE-UK (2015) Perinatal Mortality Surveillance Report UK Perinatal Deaths for births from January to December 2013, Maternal, Newborn and Infant Clinical Outcome Review Programme
- NHS Litigation Authority (2012) – Ten Years of Maternity Claims
- NHS Safety Thermometer (maternity)
- The Kings Fund, (2012), Improving safety in maternity services
- The Report of the Morecambe Bay Investigation accessed (2015)
- WHO maternity checklist
- Suzette Woodwards blog
- NHS England Saving Babies’ Lives; A care bundle for reducing stillbirth
- Join Tamba’s health professionals list for access to multiples specific CPD videos and more
Contact us with any questions
You may have questions around this spotlight and what it means for you. Please email any queries [link to email] and we’ll answer those for you. Where appropriate, we’ll collate answers and share those via our weekly newsletter SignUPdate for the benefit of the wider community.
* For the purposes of this paper the term organisation is used to refer to a Trust, Foundation Trust, General Practice, and Independent Body.