A free, CPD-accredited massive-online course, Lean Fundamentals builds foundational Lean process improvement skills. The course is highly action oriented and introduces core Lean concepts that can be applied immediately to develop practical skills to make a point improvement to a specific part of a process, and to reduce non-value-adding activities to enhance care and outcomes for our patients, families, carers and staff.
Comprising six, one-hour content modules available 24/7 over an eight-week period, the Lean Fundamentals massive-online programme covers:
- Course induction – this will orientate you to the learning platform functionality, course objectives and will help you consider your improvement project scope.
- Improvement Kata Introduction – provides a structured routine for learning and applying improvement science and uses a visual format to aid onsite communication between managers and staff.
- Introduction to Lean – introduces the principles of Lean and helps you to consider how value is defined and how waste manifests within processes.
- The Building Blocks of Processes – demonstrates the effect of process variation and helps you to design it out and document processes through observation and waste elimination.
- The Flows of Healthcare – introduces you to seven flows that comprise healthcare processes and how to observe, document and process map them.
- Workplace Organisation – helps you apply a five-step process to organise workplaces and use visual methods to design more effective, efficient and reliable processes.
- Pursuing Perfection – Introduces a structured approach to rapid-cycle continuous improvement through iterative experimentation using the Plan, Do, Study, Act framework.
You can work through the modules at your own pace and interact with peers and expert faculty through the learning platform to maximise your learning and enhance your ability to rapidly apply Lean concepts in practice.
The course will be running from Monday 5th September 2022 to Sunday 30th October 2022.
Enrolling on the course
The courses are now open for enrolment on the QI Learning platform. If you are a new user, please register on our QI Learning Platform first, and then enrol onto the courses from the home page.
You will be able to access the full range of online materials once you have registered on the platform, enrolled on the course and the course has opened. The course materials and resources will remain available for six weeks until the course closes.”