The NHS in London has today (Friday 18th May) revealed the ten individuals and teams it has chosen as regional champions in a prestigious competition to mark the NHS’s 70th birthday.
The champions – including a paediatrician who has transformed A&E care for children and a ‘virtual surgeon’ pioneering technology use in the operating theatre – will now vie with other regional winners from across England for a national award to be presented at a special ceremony in the Palace of Westminster in July.
The NHS70 Parliamentary Awards, sponsored by IBM and Teva, recognise the massive contribution made by individuals who work in and alongside the NHS.
Launched in February, the Awards asked London’s MPs to find and nominate those individuals or teams they thought have made the biggest improvements to health services in their constituencies across ten categories.
From 144 entries, senior experts have chosen ten outstanding nominations, which exemplify the best of what the NHS and its partners do day in, day out.
The champions are:
• The Excellence in Cancer Care Award: Community Children’s Nursing Team at Lewisham and Greenwich Trust
• The Excellence in Mental Health Care Award, sponsored by Wesleyan: Saeed Khalilirad from West London Mental Health Trust
• The Excellence in Urgent and Emergency Care Award: Dr Gayle Hann from North Middlesex University Hospital
• The Excellence in Primary Care Award: Brian Dickens from Parchmore Medical Centre
• The Person-Centred Care Champion Award: Temptations Mambiravana from Lewisham and Greenwich Trust
• The Future NHS Award, sponsored by Health HR UK: Professor Shafi Ahmed from Barts Health Trust
• The Healthier Communities Award: Islington GP Federation
• The Care and Compassion Award: Treat Me Right! from North West London
• The Patient and Public Involvement Award: Wandsworth CCG
• The Lifetime Achievement Award: Dame Jacqueline Docherty from
All of the champions will be invited to the national awards ceremony, which will be held on 4th July, the day before the NHS’s 70th birthday. The ceremony will be hosted by Dr Sara Kayat, NHS GP and TV Doctor best known for This Morning, Celebrity Island with Bear Grylls and GPs: Behind Closed Doors.
NHSE London Regional Director Jane Cummings said: “We were delighted by the incredible quality of nominations we received from our local MPs and it made the decision process very difficult. We are so happy to be able to celebrate the fantastic work being done in the NHS across London.”
The regional champions will now go forward to a final stage of judging by a panel including the leaders of Royal Colleges, the Unison trade union, and the Patients Association – collectively representing millions of health and care workers and patients.
Regional Chief Nurse Oliver Shanley said: “I’m sure everyone will be rooting for our regional champions when the national winners are decided, and I’m confident that as a team they’ll be bringing a number of awards back with them from Westminster in July.”
For more information please contact the NHSE London Regional Press office (email@example.com)
The NHS marks its 70th birthday on July 5th 2018, and the NHS70 Parliamentary Awards is part of a range of activities being organised by NHS England and NHS Improvement to mark this milestone, and the achievements of the NHS and those who work for and with it.
These range from ceremonies for NHS staff in Westminster Abbey and York Minster, the special 10p NHS coin released by The Royal Mint and new resources for schools to engage children and young people to think about a career in the NHS, to local open days, exhibitions and other events being staged by hospitals and other health organisations.
People and organisations are also encouraged to take part in the NHS Big 7Tea, with tea parties happening across the country to mark the birthday, sharing their NHS stories and raising money for one of over 250 dedicated NHS charities.
Find out more about NHS70 celebrations and how to get involved at www.nhs70.nhs.uk.
Further information on the NHS70 Parliamentary Awards is available at www.nhs70awards.co.uk.