NHS South East has revealed the ten individuals and teams it has chosen as regional champions in a prestigious competition to mark the NHS’s 74th birthday.
The champions – including nursing, cancer care, COVID-19 vaccination, and multi-disciplinary teams – will now have the chance to pick up a national award to be presented at a special ceremony in the Palace of Westminster in July.
The NHS Parliamentary Awards recognise the massive contribution made by those who work in and alongside the NHS. Launched in March, MPs were asked to find and nominate those individuals or teams they believe have made the biggest improvements to health services in their constituencies, across 10 categories. New this year is the COVID-19 Response award.
From 89 entries, ten outstanding nominations in the South East have been chosen, which exemplify the best of what the NHS and its partners do day in, day out.
The South East regional champions are:
- The Excellence in Healthcare Award: Cancer Service Team at Medway NHS Foundation Trust
- The Excellence in Mental Healthcare Award: HOPE Eating Disorder Provider Collaborative, Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust
- The Excellence in Primary Care and Community Care Award: Home visiting service/Complex Acute response team at Thanet Health Community Interest Company
- The Excellence in Urgent and Emergency Care Award: An initiative designed by South Central Ambulance Service (SCAS) is helping patients receive the right treatment more quickly and avoid unnecessary transfers to hospital emergency departments
- The Future NHS Award: Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells Care Coordination Centre team and their new bed management system, Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
- The Health Equalities Award: Alliance for Better Care Vaccine Equity Team, Alliance for Better Care
- The Nursing and Midwifery Award: Deal Ward, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother (QEQM) Hospital
- The COVID-19 Response Award: Surrey Heath Place COVID-19 Response Team, Surrey Heath Primary Care Network
- NHS Rising Star: Alice Hendy, CEO and Founder, Ripple Suicide Prevention
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Dr Edmund Neville, Respiratory consultant, Portsmouth Hospitals University NHS Trust
The regional champions will now go forward to a final stage of judging by a panel collectively representing millions of health and care workers and patients. All champions are invited to the national awards ceremony, which will be held on 6 July in Westminster, a day after the NHS’s 74th birthday.
Anne Eden, Regional Director for the NHS in the South East said: “Picking champions from the dozens of high quality nominations we received from local MPs was incredibly difficult, so all of those going forward to the national ceremony should be extremely proud of their achievement.
“I’m sure everyone will be rooting for our regional champions when the national winners are decided, and I’m confident that our region has a great calibre of entrants meaning we stand a great chance of bringing a number of awards back from Westminster in July.”
Notes to editors:
The full shortlist for the NHS Parliamentary Awards 2022 can be found on the NHS Parliamentary Awards website: https://nhsparliamentaryawards.co.uk/shortlist