What we do
We are the Public Health England (PHE) Screening and Immunisations Team (SIT). Our team is embedded within the NHS England South East Public Health Commissioning Team and we work alongside clinical commissioning groups (CCGs), local authorities, and service providers to ensure that local screening and immunisation programmes commissioned by NHS England are delivered in a safe, effective and accessible manner. We work with providers and stakeholders to:
- Ensure that the screening and immunisation programmes:
- meet the needs of our eligible population
- provide the highest levels of quality, safety and efficiency
- meet minimum standards and strive for excellence.
- Review coverage and coordinate interventions to address inequalities.
- Identify and assess service risks, including managing incidents and ensuring shared learning is identified and promoted.
- Organise and chair quarterly board meetings for all screening and immunisation programmes.
- Proactively engage patients/public to participate and contribute to service development.
- Review complaints and compliments.
- Raise the profile and awareness of screening and immunisation programmes via a coordinated and consistent approach.
- Provision of data to key stakeholders and providers.
NHS immunisation programmes covered by the team
|Childhood immunisation programme
|School based immunisation programme
|Adult immunisation programme
|Immunisations for those at risk
Cancer screening programmes covered by the team
|Bowel cancer screening||Offered to men and women aged 60 – 74, every 2 years.
In addition, bowel scope screening is currently in a phased roll out and offers a one-off flexi-sigmoidoscopy to people aged 55 years.
|Breast cancer screening||Offered to all women aged from 50 to their 71st birthday who are registered with a GP are automatically invited for breast cancer screening every 3 years.
A trial is currently in place to examine the effectiveness of offering some women 1 extra screen between the ages of 47 and 49, and 1 between the ages of 71 and 73
|Cervical cancer screening||Offered to women aged 25 – 49 every 3 years, and to women aged 50 – 64 every 5 years|
Non-cancer screening programmes covered by the team
|Abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) screening||Offered to all men in their 65th year. Men over this age are encouraged to self-refer|
|Diabetic eye screening||Offered annually to all people with type 1 or type 2 Diabetes from the age of 12|
|Antenatal screening||This is offered to all pregnant women and includes screening for:
infectious diseases, Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia, fetal anomalies including Down’s syndrome
|Newborn screening||This is offered to all newborns and includes: bloodspot screening, the newborn infant physical examination, and hearing screening|
|Screening and immunisation lead||Caroline Vass|
|Screening and immunisation managers||Amiira Bodheea
|Screening and immunisation coordinators
|Assistant screening and immunisation coordinator||Kathryn Attwood|
|Screening and immunisation business support assistant||Lise Martinez Gonzalez|
- Immunisation against infectious disease – ‘The Green Book’
- Immunisation information for health professionals and immunisation practitioners
- UK Population Screening Programmes Website
- Service Specifications for all screening and immunisation programmes
- Cervical Screening Prior Notification List Guidance for Practices
In Surrey and Sussex, we have commissioned a Specialist Immunisation Team to deliver school aged vaccination programmes and catch up opportunities for children who have missed out on their routine childhood immunisations. The team runs community catch up clinics across Surrey and Sussex. Parents with children who are unvaccinated or partially vaccinated can contact the Specialist Immunisation Team using the contact details below:
- Woking, Runnymede, Guildford & Waverley boroughs: Tel: 01483 728 201 ext 377 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spelthorne, Elmbridge, Epsom & Ewell Mole Valley & Banstead boroughs: Tel: 01784 883 705 / Tattenham Clinic, Epsom Downs – Tel: 01737 371 293 Email: email@example.com
- Tandridge, Reigate, Redhill & Horley boroughs: Tel: 01737 775 467 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brighton Immunisation Team: Tel: 01273 696011 ext.3789 Email: email@example.com
- Chichester Team: Tel: 01273 696011 ext.8100 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Crawley Team: Tel: 01293 600300 ext.3985 Email: email@example.com
- Hellingly Team: Tel: 01892 337248 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org