Our ambition is to help make the UK one of the most pro-innovation health systems in the world.
We will do this by bringing decision-makers from across the health service together with innovators from industry to accelerate impactful and cost-effective products in a way that hasn’t happened before.
- For patients: this means access to new technologies and treatments faster than ever.
- For clinicians: you will have access to cutting-edge innovations that will help you deliver excellent care.
- For industry: we will help you understand the needs of patients and clinicians, and champion great solutions.
- For investors: innovations that meet NHS needs will receive greater support, from proof of concept to national commissioning.
Formed in response to the Accelerated Access Review published in October 2016, the AAC is chaired by Lord Ara Darzi and has members representing each of the collaborative’s key partner organisations, listed below.
A new unit has been set up in NHS England to support the AAC’s work to provide a more joined up approach, at all stages, to ensure the best, new innovations reach patients faster. This work includes horizon scanning for upcoming, cutting edge innovations that meet the needs of patients and the NHS, to providing support for providers to enable faster adoption and spread of already proven new treatments and diagnostic tools.
The AAC board meets three times a year and has the following responsibilities:
- To agree the priorities for the AAC in order to achieve its core objectives
- To provide executive oversight and scrutiny to programmes of work that deliver the current and future priorities of the AAC as agreed by the board; and
- To act as a forum by which cross-cutting activities which impact on the innovation ecosystem are explored and aligned.
The next meetings of the AAC Board are:
- Wednesday 20 March 2024
- Wednesday 26 June 2024
- Wednesday 27 November 2024
Read the public minutes and papers from the board meetings below:
- 29 November 2023
- 21 June 2023
- 22 March 2023
- 23 November 2022
- 29 June 2022
- 23 March 2022
- 10 November 2021
- 30 June 2021
- 4 March 2020
- 23 October 2019
- 26 June 2019
AAC Steering Group
The AAC is currently undergoing a governance review and refresh. At the October 2022 meeting of the Steering Group, it was agreed by members of the Steering Group that the group, in its current form, would be dissolved. In its place, alternative governance will be established and once this has been agreed, we will update this page.