The information below relates to the CVD prevention pathway.
- Undertake systematic audit across practices.
- Identify people with possible undiagnosed hypertension.
- Identify people who are not treated to target.
- Work with practices and local authorities to maximise NHS Health Check uptake and follow up.
- Build local primary care leadership to challenge unwarranted variation and drive quality improvement in detection and management.
- Use practice-based pharmacists to optimise management of hypertension.
- Commission ambulatory blood pressure monitoring service for diagnosis.
- Consider commissioning:
- Systematic support for adherence from community pharmacists through medicine use reviews (MURs).
- BP self-test units eg in surgery waiting rooms, community pharmacies, leisure centres.
- Digital solutions for self-monitoring and treatment optimisation.
- NICE pathwayon hypertension
- PHE NHS Health Check: Best practice guidance
- Case study 1: Blackpool: Identifying and treating people with undiagnosed high blood pressure
- Case study 2: Stockport: ‘Know your numbers’ blood pressure campaign
- Case study 3: Stoke-on-Trent: Telehealth helps patients manage their own conditions