Patient Safety First and the Clinical Board for Surgical Safety* are hosting Safer Surgery Week, beginning on 24th of September.
All Trusts in England are using the Surgical Safety Checklist in order to provide safer surgical care. However, we know through our work that more still needs to be done to eradicate perioperative never events, and to achieve both cultural change and effective implementation of the five steps to safer surgery.
During Safer Surgery Week we will be promoting a number of local activities designed to help improve the quality and reliability of local implementation of the Five Steps to Safer Surgery. We will also be holding a series of online webinars, some of the hosts include:
- Prof. Sir Bruce Keogh, NHS Medical Director
- Jane Cummings, Chief Nursing Officer for England
- Prof. Norman Williams, President, Royal College of Surgeons
- Dr J.P. van Besouw, President, Royal College of Anaesthetists
- Dr William Harrop-Griffiths, President, Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland.
To register for any of our webinars, download the one page guides for the local activities we are promoting or find out more about Safer Surgery Week, visit the Safer Surgery Week webpage.
*The Clinical Board for Surgical Safety comprises of:
- Chaired by the Royal College of Surgeons
- Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland
- Association for Perioperative Practitioners
- Confidential Reporting System in Surgery
- College of Operating Department Practitioners
- National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death
- Royal College of Anaesthetists
- Royal College of Nursing
- Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists.