Creating a new NHS England: NHS Digital and NHS England have now merged. Health Education England will join us in April 2023. Learn more.
NHS centres leading the 100,000 Genomes Project are to feature as part of Healthcare Science Week.
The national event, which runs from March 11 to 20 as part of British Science Week, offers a unique opportunity to go ‘behind the scenes’ of many hospital labs and scientific facilities.
It’s a chance to find out first-hand about healthcare scientists’ pioneering work and the vital role they play in patient care and treatment. It’s also a great opportunity to find out more about careers in healthcare science.
Among the scientists and clinicians talking about their work will be some of those from the NHS Genomic Medicine Centres (NHS GMCs) involved in the 100,000 Genomes Project, which NHS England is partnering with Genomics England, Health Education England, Public Health England and the Department of Health.
A total of 13 NHS GMCs are working with patients and participants in the project to lay the foundations for a personalised medicine service across the NHS – setting global standards for tumour DNA extraction, whole genome sequencing and its analysis.
Visitors will be able to find out more of the work going on as part of the 100,000 Genomes Project at a number of events, including:
- Cambridge: East of England NHS GMC – Meet the genomics team at Addenbrooke’s Hospital on Sunday 20 March 11am-4pm. Find out more about the 100,000 Genomes Project and about genes, genomes and genome sequencing.
- Manchester: Greater Manchester NHS GMC is hosting a 100,000 Genomes Project participant day on Thursday 17 March at Saint Mary’s Hospital. An opportunity for participants to come into the department and meet the team leading the project.
- Exeter: South West NHS GMC is hosting an event at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital Wonford site, from Monday 14 to Thursday 17 March, to promote awareness of the 100,000 Genomes Project and careers in Healthcare Science.
This is just a flavour of the events on offer covering all aspects of healthcare science. There are hundreds more all over the country.
To find out what’s on your doorstep and feel enthused for the ground-breaking scientific work taking place in the NHS for the benefit of patients, visit Healthcare Science Week
More ‘open house’ events are being organised by British Science Week and you can find out more about the exciting range of careers in healthcare science on the Health Careers website and learn more about genomics on the HEE website.
- Read about Genomics pioneers in Professor Sue Hill’s recent blog.
- Keep in touch with Healthcare Science Week and genomics on Twitter with the hashtags #hcsweek and #Genomes100K.
- Healthcare Science Week follows the success of the annual NHS Chief Scientific Officer’s Conference, which played host to the 2016 Healthcare Science Awards supported by the HSJ.