The NHS is a large and complex organisation. To see the change and improvement we all want, it is essential that we empower local leadership, and make sure our commissioning, provision and accountability processes are fit for purpose. People affected by cancer and clinical leaders across the country will be in the driving seat for improving quality.
Improving cancer survival, earlier diagnosis and long-term quality of life need action in primary, secondary, tertiary care and beyond.
We will support strong local leadership and the robust use of data across cancer pathways to support improvement and innovation from the ground up.
To increase our accountability we have:
- Launched an integrated Cancer Dashboard. By the end of the year, we will have added increased functionality to the Dashboard, including the ability to cut the data by Cancer Alliance area.
- Rolled out a national system of Cancer Alliances.
- Supported the national Cancer Vanguard to prepare to pilot delegated financial responsibilities for providing whole-pathway services for cancer patients from April 2017. The Cancer Vanguard web page has more details.
- Supported the National Cancer Registration and Analytical Service to outline its framework and work programme for supporting the NHS and other partners to achieve the ambitions set out by the Cancer Taskforce through a central focus on world-class data, intelligence, and analysis. Public Health England (PHE) will complete its project on health economics in colorectal cancer care and will share learning with commissioners.
- Published a link to the Independent National Cancer Advisory Group. This page, on the Cancer Research UK website, provides information about membership and meeting minutes.
- Published the membership of the Clinical Experts Group (below).
Cancer Clinical Experts Group membership
- Prof David Baldwin (Chair, respiratory medicine)
- Prof Sam Janes (Vice Chair, academic respiratory medicine)
- Dr Amelia Randle (GP, commissioning)
- Mr Martin Grange (patient representative)
- Dr Paul Cane (pathology)
- Ms Sue Maughn (commissioning)
- Dr Anand Devaraj (radiology)
- Dr Robert Rintoul (academic respiratory medicine)
- Prof Denis Talbot (medical oncology)
- Dr David Gilligan (clinical oncology)
- Mr Douglas West (thoracic surgery)
- Dr Andrew Wilcock (specialist palliative and supportive care)
- Mr Sion Barnard (thoracic surgery)
- Dr Matt Evison (respiratory medicine)
- Dr Liz Fuller (respiratory medicine)
- Dr Matthew Hatton (clinical oncology)
- Dr Liz Toy (respiratory medicine)
- Dr Jodie Moffatt (CRUK)
- Dr Sanjay Popat (medical oncology)
- Prof Andrew Nicholson (pathology)
- Dr Yvonne Summers (medical oncology)
- Dr Julie Hendry (respiratory medicine)
- Mrs Barbara Gill (former ACE programme)
- Mrs Janette Rawlinson
- Prof Ian Woolhouse (respiratory medicine)
- Mrs Vanessa Beattie (patient rep)
- Dr Jesme Fox (medical director, RCF)
- Jackie Tebbs (Secretariat Administrator)
For more details, please see Achieving World Class Cancer Outcomes: Taking the strategy forward.