- Supporting fit testing
- Good practice in fit testing
- Additional resources to support you
- Broader risk assessments resources
- Fit testing algorithm
Publications approval reference: C0824
Supporting fit testing: steps and actions to be taken where staff may require the use of FFP3 masks
The algorithm below has been produced to help NHS organisations to identify the steps they should take where staff are to be deployed to clinical areas which require FFP3 respirator masks to be worn. It will assist organisations to determine actions required when an individual passes or fails a fit test.
As stated in the Government’s recent PPE strategy, there is now greater security of supply of PPE with new UK manufactured products, including FFP3 respirator masks, to be used by the NHS.
Fit testing of respirator face masks is a legal requirement and supporting effective fit testing of existing and new models is essential for protecting our NHS staff.
Good practice in fit testing
- Regular audit of fit testing compliance with Board level oversight
- Ongoing evaluation of staff experience of fit testing procedures and Plan, Do, Study, Act (PDSA) cycles
- Ensuring equity of access to fit testing for all staff groups including contracted staff, porters and cleaners, supported by clear communication
Additional resources to support you
Information and advice for employers and those conducting fit tests is available at:
- Health and Safety Executive – Guidance on respiratory protective equipment (RPE) fit testing
- Public Health England – Infection Prevention and Control guidance including what PPE to use and when
Broader risk assessments resources
- NHS England and NHS Improvement’s information on safe working for all NHS staff through COVID-19
- NHS Employers’ information on risk assessments for staff particularly for at-risk and clinically vulnerable groups within your workforce
- The Faculty of Occupational Medicine’s Risk Reduction Framework for healthcare staff designed to be used in conjunction with NHS Employers’ information
- The Health and Safety Executive’s information on managing risks and risk assessment at work
Fit testing algorithm