The vanguard and the people it serves
The aim in Dudley is to improve health and wellbeing for local people through more closely linked health and care services, based around GP practices, which allow easier access to care that is consistent and better co-ordinated.
All Together Better is a partnership between local NHS and care organisations, GPs and the voluntary sector. The partners are working together, with support from the national programme team, to develop an overarching organisation known as a multispecialty community provider to improve the quality of care for all people in Dudley registered with a GP.
The area has a population of 315,000.
What is changing?
The team in Dudley is developing a network of GP-led teams of staff working together across health and care professions for the benefit of patients – known as ‘teams without walls’.
The focus is on four main areas:
- Enhanced primary care – including consistent and more co-ordinated support for people with long term conditions that is tailored to their needs
- Integrated care – patients can be supported by a wide ranging team made up of a GP, community nurse, social worker, mental health worker, voluntary sector worker and other specialists
- Pathways – people will be supported to remain at home wherever possible by reducing the variation in hospital care for patients referred by their GP for non-emergency care
- Urgent care – the vanguard will build on Dudley’s successful new urgent care centre by improving support for frail elderly people, reducing the number of times they need to go to hospital as an emergency
- More straightforward access to a wider range of care via local GP practices will improve health and wellbeing and reduce unnecessary hospital admissions
- More advice and guidance and better access to local support groups will help people make the right choices and manage their own health
- Efficiency will be improved through staff working together as one team, regardless of which organisation employs them.
Contact Dudley Multispecialty Community Provider