Helping people to help themselves
We are working with 15 new care models across the country to test how we can deliver support for self-care, systematically and at scale.
We hope that the learning we generate will support the wider health and care system, in particular Accountable Care Systems and Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships, where self-care is central.
By working with these new care models, we hope to offer tailored self-care support to 25,000 – 30,000 people by April 2018, delivered through health coaching/self-management education and access to community resources.
As part of this we are embedding the Patient Activation Measure (PAM) – to enable healthcare professionals understand where people are starting from in terms of their ‘level of activation’, and how this changes following self-care support.
We have particularly targeted people with long-term conditions, such as diabetes, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or heart disease – and people with three or more medical conditions.
- Fylde Coast Local Health Economy has supported 1600 people with multiple conditions to self-care since October 2016 through health coaching. Patient activation scores rose by an average of 9.7 points which each corresponding to a 2% decrease in hospitalisation. @YCOPFyldeCoast
- Symphony Integrated Healthcare in South Somerset has appointed more than 50 health coaches alongside GPs and practice teams to help patients to set their goals and how they might improve their health and wellbeing. @SymphonyProj
The 15 vanguards are:
- Healthy Wirral @healthy_wirral
- Mid-Nottinghamshire Better Together @bettermidnotts
- Symphony Integrated Healthcare (South Somerset) @SymphonyProj
- Northumberland Accountable Care Organisation @N_LandNHS
- Better Care Together (Morecambe Bay Health Community) @BCTMorecambeBay
- My Life a Full Life (Isle of Wight) @mylifeafulllife
- Wellbeing Erewash @WellErewash
- Fylde Coast Local Health Economy @YCOPFyldeCoast
- The Connected Care Partnership (Sandwell and West Birmingham) @ModalityGP
- All Together Better Sunderland @ATBSunderland
- Dudley Multispecialty Community Provider @ATBDudley
- Stockport Together @Stockport2gther
- Better Local Care (Hampshire) @BetterLocalCare
- Principia Partners in Health (Southern Nottinghamshire) @PrincipiaMCP
- West Wakefield Health and Wellbeing Ltd @westwakefield
Contact the team: email@example.com