The professional nurse advocate (PNA) checklist forms part of the NHS England and NHS Improvement national PNA implementation guidance. It summaries the necessary activities to embed PNAs in an organisation.
- Organisation’s chief nurse to identify a senior registered nurse lead for PNAs to oversee allocation, implementation and oversight of PNAs in practice.
- Identify the number of PNAs the service needs to implement the A-EQUIP model (based on a 1:20 ratio).
- Select and train nurses to fill the required number of PNA roles.
- Ensure arrangements are in place for all nurses within every service to have access to a PNA.
- Ensure that PNAs have allocated time to deploy their role and that nurses are released to meet their PNA as required
- Establish supervision arrangements for PNAs.
- Ensure there are robust governance and assurance measures in place to monitor the implementation and contribution of the PNA role.
- Identify, collate, analyse and interpret quantitative and qualitative data to inform reports about the process for, and impact and outcome of, the PNA role.