New care models and the priorities of the Five Year Forward View are achievable only by fundamentally changing the relationship that the NHS and social care have with patients, people and communities.
One of the core aims of the vanguards national support package is to help them empower people and communities.
The vanguards have worked with the Forward View People and Communities Board to set out six principles to help define our expectations of how they will work. These are:
- Care and support is person centred: personalised, coordinated and empowering
- Services which are created in partnership with citizens and communities
- Focus is on equality and narrowing health inequalities
- Carers are identified, supported and involved
- Voluntary, community, social enterprise and housing sectors as key partners and enablers
- Volunteering and social action are recognised as key enablers.
As part of this work, a directory of the national support on offer for the vanguards – as well as the wider NHS and care system – has been published to help them develop new partnerships with patients, the public and communities.
It outlines the services available from the seven Forward View partners and some voluntary sector strategic partners. These organisations are part of the Health and Care Strategic Partner Programme which works in partnership with the Department of Health, NHS England and Public Health England.
More organisations are being invited to be part of a more comprehensive directory of national and local support and the directory will be updated periodically.
We are now working with vanguards to assess the impact of the directory to shape the support resources we will offer in the future and we will share our plans once this evaluation is complete.