What is it?
Asthma Biologics are an innovative group of medicines used by specialists to treat those with severe asthma. They provide an option for those with severe asthma that have had standard therapy such as inhaled bronchodilators and inhaled corticosteroids but still experience symptoms.
The asthma biologics work in a targeted way by affecting the natural immune response that causes lung inflammation and therefore help to manage symptoms, reduce relapses and may also reduce the reliance on other medicines such as steroids. It is given as an injection regularly in hospital or at home.
Benefits of these medicines
- Reduces the need for taking steroids (and associated side effects)
- Improvement in symptoms and reduces the number of life-threatening asthma attacks
- Improves patient outcomes – Asthma UK report that people on these therapies have more confidence in going out and meeting people, better mobility and less stress.
- Reduces hospital attendance and admission for uncontrolled asthma
- Asthma UK Biologic Therapies
- NICE Guidance TA565 Benralizumab
- NICE Guidance TA431 Mepolizumab
- NICE Guidance TA278 Omalizumab
- NICE Guidance TA479 Reslizumab
- Supplier Product Information: Benralizumab (Fasenra)
- Supplier Product Information: Mepolizumab (Nucala)
- Supplier Product Information: Omalizumab (Xolair)
- Supplier Product Information: Reslizumab (Cinqair)