The Board is the senior decision-making structure for NHS England. It has reserved key decisions and matters for their own decision, including strategic direction, overseeing delivery of the agreed strategy, the approach to risk, and establishing the culture and values of the organisation.
Key responsibilities to support the Board’s strategic leadership to the organisation include:
- Approving the business plan and monitoring performance against it.
- Holding the organisation to account for performance and the proper running of the organisation (including operating in accordance with legal and governance requirements).
- Determining which decisions it will make and which it will delegate to the Executive via the Scheme of Delegation.
- Ensuring high standards of corporate governance and personal conduct.
- Providing effective financial stewardship.
- Promoting effective dialogue between NHS England, government departments, other arms length bodies (ALBs), partners, integrated care systems, their constituent organisations and the communities they serve.