The National Cost Collection publication comprises aggregated costs (the average unit cost of providing defined services to NHS patients in England) and patient-level costs/PLICS (a cost based on the specific interactions a patient has, and the events related to their healthcare activity).
NHS providers submit costs annually. These costs are used to inform a number of work streams including the PLICS portal, the Model Hospital, the Getting It Right First Time (GIRFT) programme and NHS Payment Scheme prices. They are a key source of information about the cost of NHS services.
2021/22 National Cost Collection data
As in 2020/21, we have not produced a report for this year’s National Cost Collection. However, the data itself is published in its entirety, presented in the following ways:
- the national schedules of NHS costs
- the National Cost Collection Index (NCCI)
- the reconciliation statement
- a database of source data
- National schedule of NHS costs – The main schedule, showing data for the whole range of services provided by provider, including admitted patient care on a finished consultant episode (FCE) basis.
- The National Cost Collection index (NCCI) – The National Cost Collection index (NCCI) is a measure of the relative cost difference between NHS providers.
- The National Cost Collection index by department and service code – A more granular view of the National Cost Collection index by department and service code.
- Reconciliation Statement – Shows the adjustments made to get from provider audited financial accounts to their total NCC costs.
2021/22 National Cost Collection data files
- Organisation level source data part 1 – Unadjusted data as submitted by NHS providers in England.
- Organisation level source data part 2 – Market forces factor (MFF) adjusted data.
- Organisation level source data part 3 – Remaining organisational source level data and reference tables.
Please note that amended documentation was issued on 19 May 2023, reflecting updated data quality issues. The NCC update log gives details of changes made since initial publication.
Archived cost collections
Please see the pages 2020/21 National Cost Collection Data Publication, 2019/20 National Cost Collection Data Publication and 2018/19 National Cost Collection Data Publication for the data from the past three years.
You can also access reference costs for the financial years 2017/18 and 2016/17 on the page Archived Reference Costs, along with a link to earlier cost collections on the Department of Health website.
Help and support
If you have any queries on this project or costing in general please email to email@example.com