In October 2020, the NHS became the world’s first health service to commit to reaching carbon net zero, in response to the profound and growing threat to health posed by climate change. The “Delivering a Net Zero Health Service” report sets out a clear ambition and two evidence-based targets. Thanks to NHS people, partners, and suppliers, we’re already on the way to building a greener NHS. In 2021, one year on from setting out these targets, the NHS reduced its emissions equivalent to powering 1.1 million homes annually. Together, we can achieve even more.
Over the last 10 years, the NHS has become a world leader in the response to climate change, taking action to cut carbon emissions while building capacity and resilience into the way that healthcare is provided.
At the national level, the NHS will monitor and report on its emissions reductions in-line with the timeline, methods and approach laid out by the UK Committee on Climate Change.
The section provides case studies highlighting the important work happening at all levels across the NHS.
Please share your experiences and case studies with us at: email@example.com.
- Drone deliveries of vital chemotherapy to the Isle of Wight
- University Hospitals Birmingham: A world first in carbon net zero surgery
- Improving health outcomes for respiratory patients while reducing carbon emissions
- Electric vehicles drive down carbon emissions in and around Greater Manchester
- Reducing unnecessary cannulation at Charing Cross Hospital
- Green transport delivers life-saving drugs and improves patient experience
- Solar power sparks an electrical future for Milton Keynes University Hospital
- Pedal power for cleaner healthcare delivery – Sussex Community NHS Trust
- Putting anaesthetic-generated emissions to bed: An initiative by University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust
- Boosting healthy and sustainable travel in Manchester
- Zooming into a greener future: The case for a zero-emissions courier services: An initiative by Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- For a greener NHS: GOSH reducing single use plastics
- Improving lung health and the environment at Kirkholt Medical Centre, Rochdale
- NHS organisations cut desflurane in drive for greener surgery
- Harnessing solar power at Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
- A Greener NHS photography exhibition
- Sustainable Development Unit archive