NHS England is responsible for commissioning high quality primary care services for the population of England. NHS England’s commissioning policy is to move towards more place based, clinically led commissioning and is sharing or delegating commissioning of primary medical care services to CCGs
In addition to commissioning primary care services. NHS England has responsibility for commissioning of all dental services including specialist, community and out of hours dental services.
The following documents form part of a suite of policies and procedures to support commissioning and contract management of primary care.
These policies and procedures support quality and consistency of commissioning and eliminate duplication of effort in the management of the four primary care contractor groups
All policies and procedures have been designed to support the principle of proportionality. By applying these policies and procedures, commissioners should be able to respond to local issues within a national framework. .
Primary care professional bodies, representatives of patients and the public and other stakeholders were involved in the production of these documents.
The policies are underpinned by five key principles;
- To support the continuous improvement of primary care
- To maintain the right balance between operating in a consistent fashion, maintaining appropriate local flexibility
- Clear alignment with NHS England commissioning policy and NHS England business plan.
- Compliance with legislation
- To support a reasonable, proportionate and consistent approach across the four primary care contractor groups.
This suite of documents will be refined in light of feedback from users. Please send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating in the subject header “Policy feedback: policy name”.
Performer list policies and procedures
- Toolkit for Managing Performance Concerns in Primary Care – February 2016
- Toolkit for Managing Performance Concerns in Primary Care – Appendix H – February 2016
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for Primary Care Support Services
- NPL1: National Performers List Application Form
- NPL2: Movement to a different NHS England team
- NPL3: Change in registered address, practice within existing locality or status of inclusion
- Supplementary guidance regarding occupational health clearance added January 2014
- Policy for managing alerts in primary care – NHS England
- Policy and standard operating procedure for governing the inclusion, movement and maintenance of medical, dental and ophthalmic performers in the NHS England’s national primary care performers lists
Please see below to access additional policies:
Primary Care Support England (PCSE) is responsible for administering entry and status changes to Performer Lists on behalf of NHS England. The decision to admit or decline an applicant to the National Performers List is the responsibility of NHS England.
Information on how to join the Performers List for the first time or, if you are already on the Performers List and need to change your status to qualified or change your home or work address, can be on the PCSE website.