The role of our primary care dental teams is to:
- Commission quality, accessible and timely NHS dental services for residents in the South of England, across primary, secondary and community care dental pathways
- Implemented through national contracting mechanisms, enablers and frameworks, developed to support local commissioning of NHS dental services
List of professional organisations
- Information for professionals in South West, covering Devon, Cornwall, Isles of Scilly, Bristol, North Somerset, Somerset and South Gloucestershire
Local office dental contacts
South West (for Bristol, North Somerset, Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly)
Tel: 01138 253039
South Central (for Bath and North East Somerset, Gloucestershire, Swindon and Wiltshire)
Tel: 0113 825 1520
Wessex (for Dorset, Portsmouth and Southampton, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight)
Tel: 0113 824 9119
South East (for Surrey, East Sussex, West Sussex, Brighton and Hove, Kent and Medway)
Tel: 0113 824 8998
NHS England South procurement of orthodontic services
Orthodontic treatment (usually with braces) is most often used to improve the appearance and alignment of crooked, protruding or crowded teeth, and to correct problems with the bite of the teeth.
A number of contracts to provide orthodontic services in the South of England will be coming to an end on 31 March 2019. NHS England is carrying out a procurement process to award new contracts to provide orthodontic services from 1 April 2019.
The service specification for the new contracts will follow the national Guide for Commissioning Orthodontics which was published in September 2015.
The procurement will be managed across the south of England incorporating the NHS England South East and South West regions (made up of the South West, Wessex, South Central and South East local offices) to ensure consistency across the region.
Although the procurement is being managed on a regional basis, contracts will be split into geographical lots so that potential providers can submit tenders to provide services in the areas they are interested in. The proposed lots have been informed by local health needs assessments to ensure greater equality of services across the region.
We gained the views of patients, the public and stakeholders and feedback was used to help inform the procurement. We have published the engagement report for the procurement and a summary of responses.
You can read the equalities and health inequalities analysis for the procurement here. This may be amended throughout the procurement to reflect any changes needed which may be identified as the procurement progresses.
We are using a dynamic purchasing system as part of the procurement process. If you are interested in submitting a bid you will first need to have gained accreditation. This needs to be done via the dynamic purchasing system where you will need to answer some questions. In order to submit tenders for contracts commencing in April 2019 you will need to have gained this accreditation before the invitation to tender is published.
Please make sure you leave plenty of time to do this.
We recently held a series of market briefing events where people interested in applying for contracts to deliver orthodontic services in the South of England could find out more about the procurement and how to submit bids. View slides from the market briefing events.
You can view the final service specification and the invitation to tender for new orthodontic contracts being procured, change guidance, local health needs assessments and a document showing frequently asked questions and answers below:
- Orthodontics – Change Guidance
- NHS England South Orthodontic Service Specification 2018
- Invitation to Tender for Orthodontic Services in the South
- South of England Orthodontic Procurement Frequently Asked Questions
- Orthodontic needs assessment Bath, Gloucestershire, Swindon and Wiltshire
- Orthodontic needs assessment Bristol, North Somerset, Somerset and South Gloucester
- Orthodontic needs assessment Devon and Cornwall
- Orthodontic needs assessment South East
- Orthodontic needs assessment South West
- Orthodontic needs assessment Thames Valley
- Orthodontic needs assessment Wessex
Local Dental Networks (LDN) are key to providing local clinical leadership. They support the implementation of national strategy and policy at local level and are a vehicle for working with key stakeholders on the development and delivery of local priorities.
The LDN is represented through a national LDN Assembly in order to influence future policy change and improvements. A single operating framework guides LDNs’ establishment, development and functioning. This promotes consistency of approach across the country but also allows flexibility for health communities to develop their own LDN structures in line with local need and circumstances.
We currently have information about the following LDNs: