The Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Trans (LGBT+) staff network aims to work in partnership with NHS England and other LGBT+ networks to create a safe, inclusive and diverse working environment that encourages respect and equality for all and a space that values and recognises the differences between sexual orientation and gender identity and works proactively to address these.
Membership is open to all NHS England staff who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and those with a positive interest in driving forward race equality as an employer. To be inclusive we are using the widest terminology of LGBT+ for membership of the network.
The Executive Committee will manage the network, encourage members to get involved and liaise with NHS England and other partners.
- work in partnership with NHS England and act as an LGBT+ champion
- raise awareness of LGBT+ staff issues
- raise awareness of issues specifically affecting transgender staff
- be a safe point of contact for LGBT+ staff
- actively influence NHS policies and strategies that will or may impact on LGBT+ patients
- support and be a partner to improve its score in Stonewall’s Workplace Equality Index
- organise activities and events for LGBT+ staff
- engage with union representatives and LGBT+ groups, regional LGBT+ networks and work closely with the other NHS England staff networks
- Provide first level support to LGBT+ staff who feel they are being bullied or harassed on the grounds of sexual orientation or sexual identity.
If you work for NHS England and wish to register your interest to become a member of the LGBT+ staff network please email England.LGBT@nhs.net. We are also interested to hear from you if you work for the NHS and your organisation doesn’t have a LGBT+ network, or you lead your organisation’s LGBT+ network.