NHS England is responsible for commissioning hospital and community healthcare services for armed forces personnel and their families registered with Defence Medical Services (DMS) GP practices in England, as well as for adults held in prisons, immigration removal centres and other secure and detained settings in England.
Since 2013, NHS England has been following a set of policies when commissioning healthcare services for these patient groups.
14 of these commissioning policies were reviewed as part of a consultation launched in July 2018 by the NHS Evidence-Based Interventions Programme. These policies are set out in the below.
No criteria – Individual Funding Request needed
- Snoring surgery
- Dilatation and curettage (D&C) for heavy menstrual bleeding in women
- Knee arthroscopy for patients with osteoarthritis
- Injections for nonspecific low back pain without sciatica
Revised NHS England national criteria
- Breast reduction
- Removal of benign skin lesions
- Grommets for glue ear in children
- Tonsillectomy for recurrent tonsillitis
- Haemorrhoid surgery
- Hysterectomy for heavy menstrual bleeding
- Chalazia removal
- Arthroscopic shoulder decompression for subacromial shoulder pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome release
- Dupuytren’s contracture release
- Ganglion excision
- Trigger finger release
- Varicose vein surgery
The consultation proposed treatment access criteria for adoption across England, with the aim of reducing the number of clinically ineffective interventions, improving outcomes for patients and maximising value for taxpayers.
The outcomes of this consultation were considered by the NHS England Board on 28 November 2018 with members agreeing statutory commissioning guidance for implementing the recommendations. As a result, the above procedures are now subject to national clinical commissioning criteria.
If you require funding agreement for any of these procedures or have any queries relating to the implementation of the national clinical criteria for the armed forces community, please email the Prior Approvals Team at email@example.com.
If you have any queries relating to the Health and Justice policies, please refer to the appropriate regional contact.
The following policies remain in use on an interim basis. These policies are only for those patients in secure and detained settings or for those who are registered with a Defence Medical Services medical centre. These policies will be subject to consultation at a later date.
- N-SC001 Abdominal Wall Hernia Management and Repair in Adults
- N-SC002 Anal Skin Tag Removal
- N-SC003 Breast Asymmetry
- N-SC003 Breast Asymmetry application form
- N-SC004 Breast Implant removal & reinsertion
- N-SC004 Breast Implant removal & reinsertion application form
- N-SC005 Breast reduction & Breast lift
- N-SC005 Breast reduction & Breast lift application form
- N-SC006 Breast reduction for Gynaecomastia in Males
- N-SC006 Breast reduction for Gynaecomastia in Males application form
- N-SC007 Bunion Surgery
- N-SC008 Caesarean Section
- N-SC009 Carpal Tunnel Surgery
- N-SC010 Circumcision
- N-SC011 Cosmetic surgery/treatment
- N-SC012 Dupuytren’s Contracture Surgery
- N-SC013 Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy for Asymptomatic Gall Stones
- N-SC014 Ganglion Cyst Removal
- N-SC015 Grommets (Children & Adults)
- N-SC016 Haemorrhoidectomy
- N-SC017 Hair Removal (including Electrolysis and Laser Therapy)
- N-SC018 Hip impingement syndrome
- N-SC019 Hip resurfacing
- N-SC020 Hysterectomy for Menorrhagia
- N-SC021 Knee Replacement surgery
- N-SC022 Knee washout and debridement
- N-SC023 Labiaplasty, Vaginoplasty and Hymenorrhaphy
- N-SC023 Labiaplasty, Vaginoplasty and Hymenorrhaphy application form
- N-SC024 Laser surgery for short sight
- N-SC024 Laser surgery for short sight application form
- N-SC025 Mirena Coils in secondary care
- N-SC025 Mirena Coils in secondary care application form
- N-SC026 Orthognathic Surgery
- N-SC027 Pinnaplasty/Otoplasty
- N-SC027 Pinnaplasty/Otoplasty application form
- N-SC028 Reversal of Vasectomy or Female Sterilisation
- N-SC029 Surgical Intervention for Simple Snoring
- N-SC030 Therapeutic spinal injections for pain related to the Lumbar spine
- N-SC031 Spinal surgery
- N-SC032 Tattoo Removal
- N-SC032 Tattoo Removal application form
- NN-SC033 Tonsillectomy-SC033
- N-SC034 Trigger Finger (stenosing tenosynovitis) Surgery
- N-SC035 Varicose Veins
- N-SC035 Varicose Veins application form
- N-SC036 Removal of Third Molar teeth (Wisdom Teeth)
Armed forces services specific policy
NHS England is responsible for commissioning assisted conception services for serving armed forces personnel. This policy aims to ensure that armed forces couples receive treatment in line with NICE clinical guidance and have the same access to NHS treatment wherever they live or receive their services in England.
All prior approval applications for the armed forces community made under the above policies are screened to ensure that patients do not suffer disadvantage in terms of access to treatment and relative to other citizens in the area in which they live.