Different models of working are being embedded in many general practices. Accurate appointment data demonstrates the changes in activity and workload, and supports practices to:
- understand their own practice activity and workload across the month and during the year.
- identify pressure points that need mitigating for the benefit of staff and patients.
- plan deployment of extra and existing staff, as general practice undertakes its biggest ever workforce expansion.
Accurate data are key for local decision-making and workforce planning across the local health system to:
- help inform and understand demand and pressures in general practice as well as in hospitals.
- identify areas which do not have enough clinical resources and inform service planning, including new services and new service models.
- understand the use of ARRS roles to ensure optimum take up and utilisation across practices.
- to calculate likely workload if a practice has to temporarily close for any reason, such as flood, fire, utility failure, sickness, or COVID-19.
Accurate GP appointment data helps:
- better show the sheer scale of what general practice does for us all.
- Demonstrate and make the case for extra investment in general practice.
- give insight about different ways of working and variation across the country.